New to NST

NST
TheDJ
2009-04-14
2012-12-05
  • TheDJ

TheDJ - 2009-04-14

Hey,

I am going to be using NST on our network and one of the requirements is to use Knoppix and have NST installed.

Is it possible to install NST w/ Knoppix and if so what is the best way to accompolish this?

Thank you

• Paul Blankenbaker

I am not clear on what you want to do.

Both Knoppix and NST are "live" distros which can be booted directly from a CD/DVD.

Both can be installed to a hard disk.

Both can run under VMware.

You have many options:

A. Install both on the same system to different hard disk partitions and then choose which one you want to boot at system startup.

B. Use a different OS (Windows, Fedora, Ubuntu, Mac OS, ESX Server), install VMware and then run both Knoppix and NST as virtual machines simultaneously on the same box).

C. It might even to be possible to install Knoppix, and run NST as a virtual machine under Knoppix (I haven't tried this - but it doesn't mean it isn't possible).

FYI, the next release of NST will be based on the Fedora Live CD technology, and will allow one to use standard package management tools to customize a NST install.

Good Luck,
      Paul

• TheDJ

TheDJ - 2009-04-15

Paul,

Thanks for the help.

The company wanted a Knoppix distro because most people were familiar with it and not the Fedora one that NST uses.

I understand what you are saying as they both are different distro's so what the requirement is, would not be possible.

I will configure both on different partitions and see if that works out.

Thanks again.