A speech plugin

2008-01-06
2012-11-14
  • Jim xochellis

Jim xochellis - 2008-01-06

Hi guys,

I have just implemented (for fun and experimentation) a plug-in capable of converting to speech either a whole Notepad++ document or just a text selection, using the Microsoft Speech SDK 5.1. Although implementing such a plug-in its a rather trivial task, in case you find it interesting, I will be more than happy to contribute it. (and probably evolve it, if there is a interest...)

You can find both the code and the dll in:
    http://www.geocities.com/jimxoch/SpeechPlugin.zip
    Just drop the SpeechPlugin/Release/SpeechPlugin.dll in the plugins folder and have fun...

By the way, making a (simple) Notepad++ plug-in seems to be easy and fun :)

Best Regards
    Jim Xochellis

• fidvo

fidvo - 2008-01-06

Very nice!

I assume by the small size of the .dll file that you don't have the whole speech engine built into it.  It's probably using the standard Microsoft speech engine, right?

We might as well get this over with now, because it's the most obvious feature that people will ask for:  Any chance of adding more voices in the future?

The other thing that would be nice would be some kind of pause/resume feature so that it doesn't have to start over again every time.  That way if I'm interrupted while listening, I can just pause it and come back to it later.

Congratulations and welcome to the world of Notepad++ plugin development.

• Jim xochellis

Jim xochellis - 2008-01-10

pause/resume feature added in v0.2 thanks for the feedback

-Jim

• Jim xochellis

Jim xochellis - 2008-01-06

Thank you for the feedback. I will consider both your (quite reasonable) remarks (voices and pause/resume). Moreover, since I am Greek, I would like to use a Greek (non-english in general) engine in the future, if I have the time...

Best regards
      Jim Xochellis

• Don HO

Don HO - 2008-01-08

Hehe, Notepad++ speaks now!

I notice that there's no lincense information in the source code, will you release it as open source project?

If yes, then I can put it on Notepad++ plugins project on sourceforge :
      http://sourceforge.net/projects/npp-plugins/

or better than that : ask Jens (jenslorenz at users.sourceforge.net) to include you as member of npp-plugins project, so you can manage your forum and your release directly on sourceforge.

Great work!

Don

• Jim xochellis

Jim xochellis - 2008-01-08

Hi,

Of course, I would gladly release this plug-in as open source project. I send an e-mail to Jens about this. Thanks for your kind words.

Best regards,
      Jim Xochellis

• Don HO

Don HO - 2008-01-08

Then please let me know when Speech plugin is released on sourceforge,
        I will point to its link when it's available on Notepad++ download page :
        http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/uk/download.php

Don

• Jim xochellis

Jim xochellis - 2008-01-09

It has been released OK and I am very happy about it. Next step is to implement a couple of features that fidvo noticed.

Best Regards
          Jim Xochellis