Menu

Read Only flag not updated properly

2008-08-27
2012-11-13
  • John Ullrich

John Ullrich - 2008-08-27

When the read only status of a file changes outside of npp, the new status is not reflected.  Anyone else see this happen?  Feature Request? Bug?

• Fool4UAnyway

Fool4UAnyway - 2008-08-28

You are asking for an answer you can find yourself. Thereby, you run the risk no-one will reply to your message.

http://sourceforge.net/search/?type_of_search=forums&group_id=95717&words=%2Bread+%2Bonly+%2Boutside

• John Ullrich

John Ullrich - 2008-08-28

I'm using 5.0.3 from August 3rd.  I'm basically getting the same behavior described here.
        http://sourceforge.net/forum/message.php?msg_id=4664454

Its really only the currently focused file that has issues with the read only update status.

Sorry for any perceived laziness.

• Harry

Harry - 2008-08-28

If I use explorer it works as expected. Note that Notepad++ will only check these settings if focus is regained, usually after task switching. The DocMonitor plugin additionally checks every three seconds.

• Fool4UAnyway

Fool4UAnyway - 2008-08-28

It wasn't clear that the behavior applied to the current file (only).

I sometimes have a similar issue with Notepad++ not recognizing a file has _changed_ outside Notepad++. This always happens when I am using Alt+Tab to switch back from another application. I don't know why it happens. It seems like Notepad++ did _not_ lose the focus, so it couldn't get it back and doesn't get greedy to perform those update or status change checks. The funny thing is, if I switch to another application and back, again, Notepad++ seems to awake.

If NE1 is laZ IM.

• Fool4UAnyway

Fool4UAnyway - 2008-08-29

> This always happens when I am using Alt+Tab to switch
              > back from another application. ...
              > The funny thing is, if I switch to another application
              > and back, again, Notepad++ seems to awake.

I may have been wrong about the first Alt+Tab.

Today the behavior occurred again, when I switched to Notepad++ by clicking on its Task Bar "button" (area). It didn't report any change in the file I had just edited.

I switched away and back again by using Alt+Tab twice. Then, Notepad++ asked me about the changed file.

• Harry

Harry - 2008-08-28

Could you tell which version you are using? Though the search fool4u does return read-only threads, they seem to be from 2007 or earlier and the whole system got a rewrite so its probably something new. I bleieve 5.0 had a minor bug which is fixed in 5.0.3 IIRC

• John Ullrich

John Ullrich - 2008-08-28

Ok, I activated the document monitor, and i'm getting the expected behavior within 3 seconds.  Good enough for me!