Menu

latex comment highlighting

Ken Pierce
2007-06-18
2013-09-18
  • Ken Pierce

Ken Pierce - 2007-06-18

Hi there,

I'm a big fan of npp, but it doesn't seem to highlight comment lines in LaTeX (%). There's no option in the 'Styler Configuration' under TeX for COMMENT LINE. Is there a way to fix this?

Cheers,
    Ken Pierce.

• Nobody/Anonymous

My big problem is that most of the highlighting for .tex files turns off when you open a second file in another language (e.g. Matlab, C, etc).  I have to close and re-open notepad++ to get the highlighting back again.  Notepad++ would make a great LaTeX editor, but bugs with the highlighting seriously limit its usefulness.

• Don HO

Don HO - 2007-06-24

It'll be fixed in v4.2.

Don

• MJG

MJG - 2007-06-18

You may be able to edit langs.xml and enhance the TeX section to look like one of the other languages.  The version I have already has % as a comment character, but nothing else.  (This might be because I didn't install support for it at installation time.)

Make backups first!  --Joel

• Ken Pierce

Ken Pierce - 2007-06-19

Thanks for the reply Joel,

I'm not sure what npp is doing internally, but it recognises any \foo as a command and gets braces right, but % is displayed as a symbol and doesn't seem to make the line into a comment. I added the line...

<WordsStyle name="COMMENT LINE" styleID="6" fgColor="008000" bgColor="FFFFFF" fontName="" fontStyle="0" fontSize="" />

...to stylers.xml with no joy. I'm not sure how styleID works, I just made it the next number within the "tex" element. Has anyone else had a similar problem (even with another language)?

Cheers,
      Ken.

• Dubrovsky

Dubrovsky - 2011-02-01

Definitely the same problem in version 5.8.6. I've also modified "stylers.xml" in "C:\Documents and Settings\&lt;User>\Application Data\Notepad++\"

<LexerType name="tex" desc="TeX" ext="">
                <WordsStyle name="DEFAULT" styleID="0" fgColor="000000" bgColor="F9FED6" fontName="Courier New" fontStyle="0" fontSize="12" />
                <WordsStyle name="SPECIAL" styleID="1" fgColor="FF8000" bgColor="FFFFFF" fontName="" fontStyle="1" fontSize="" />
                <WordsStyle name="GROUP" styleID="2" fgColor="8000FF" bgColor="FFFFFF" fontName="" fontStyle="1" fontSize="" />
                <WordsStyle name="SYMBOL" styleID="3" fgColor="800000" bgColor="FFFFFF" fontName="" fontStyle="0" fontSize="" />
                <WordsStyle name="COMMAND" styleID="4" fgColor="0000FF" bgColor="FFFFFF" fontName="" fontStyle="1" fontSize="" />
                <WordsStyle name="TEXT" styleID="5" fgColor="000000" bgColor="FFFFFF" fontName="" fontStyle="0" fontSize="" />
                <WordsStyle name="COMMENT" styleID="6" fgColor="008000" bgColor="FFFFFF" fontName="" fontStyle="0" fontSize="" />
            </LexerType>

"%" sign is prescribed in "langs.xml". No result. It is vexing.

• fallino

fallino - 2013-09-18

Against any logics, It works by changing DEFAULT color which affects only comments (here in green 008000).
    SYMBOL color affects the % symbol and TEXT color affects the uncommented text.

<LexerType name="tex" desc="TeX" ext="">
                <WordsStyle name="DEFAULT" styleID="0" fgColor="008000" bgColor="FFFFFF" fontName="" fontStyle="0" fontSize="" />
                <WordsStyle name="SPECIAL" styleID="1" fgColor="FF8000" bgColor="FFFFFF" fontName="" fontStyle="1" fontSize="" />
                <WordsStyle name="GROUP" styleID="2" fgColor="8000FF" bgColor="FFFFFF" fontName="" fontStyle="1" fontSize="" />
                <WordsStyle name="SYMBOL" styleID="3" fgColor="008000" bgColor="FFFFFF" fontName="" fontStyle="0" fontSize="" />
                <WordsStyle name="COMMAND" styleID="4" fgColor="0000FF" bgColor="FFFFFF" fontName="" fontStyle="1" fontSize="" />
                <WordsStyle name="TEXT" styleID="5" fgColor="000000" bgColor="FFFFFF" fontName="" fontStyle="0" fontSize="" />
            </LexerType>

PS : Be sure you modify the right "langs.xml", the one which is taken into account by Notepad++

Last edit: fallino 2013-09-18