Menu

special characters in "search and replace"

2005-09-30
2012-11-13
  • deadbarnacle

deadbarnacle - 2005-09-30

When using the search and replace function in Crimson Editor, one is given the option to search for (and replace) special characters (notably "end of line" and "beginning of line").

I think this might be a matter of constructing a regular expression by hand, in Notepad++, that emulates this function (searches for "end of line" and "beginning of line"), but I don't know how to construct it.

Basically, is there a way to include "end of line" and "beginning of line" as terms to search and replace?

Just to see if it would work, I selected the usual "end of line, beginning of line" markers in Crimson editor's search field, and then copy/pasted the yielded characters into Notpad++'s search field. It didn't treat it as a regular expression, or a "end of line, beginning of line."

• Paulius

Paulius - 2005-10-02

You have to turn "Regular expression" on.
      Then in regex, character ^ is beginning of line, $ is end of line. For example, if you want to find "abc", but only if it is first three characters on the line - you must search for "^abc", if the same string but on the end of the line - you must search for "abc$". if you want to find all lines that starts with "aaa" and ends with "bbb" (and it isn't important what is in between them) - you must search for "^aaa.*bbb$".