Menu

Does the update function actually work?

Andrew
2010-01-22
2012-11-13
  • Andrew

Andrew - 2010-01-22

For as long as I've used NPP, the "Update N++" menuitem has never actually found an update. Does this normally work? Am I the only one for whom it's broken?

• cchris

cchris - 2010-01-23

It does work, but becomes active only 15 days after a release. This is a safety net against the spreading of critical bugs.

CChris

• Garthex

Garthex - 2010-01-30

Can we put a warning or setting or something in there to allow people who want to, to be able to force an update when it's been less than 15 days?

• Andrew

Andrew - 2010-01-30

Yeah! That would be appreciated!

• cchris

cchris - 2010-01-30

The setting does exist in config.xml. Edit it and look for "noUpdate". Enjoy.

CChris

• Andrew

Andrew - 2010-01-30

Ok, so I edited the config.xml file, changing the noUpdate line to this:

<GUIConfig name="noUpdate" intervalDays="0" nextUpdateDate="20080426">yes</GUIConfig>

Then I used the update option to check for updates and sure enough a new version was found. I then told N++ to update itself. But nothing seemed to happen. The version stayed the same and the config.xml file was reverted to the default.

Am I doing it wrong?

• cchris

cchris - 2010-01-31

Yes. Setting "noUpdate" to Yes does what it says - no update. Try again with "no".

CChris

• Garthex

Garthex - 2010-02-01

Really? I changed mine from "no" to "yes" and it updated to 5.6.6 on the next startup. (I had to edit it in notepad with N++ closed so it wouldn't revert.) The weird thing was that the intervalDays was still at 15 and it hasn't been 15 days yet.

• cchris

cchris - 2010-02-02

Hmmm  I'll check the sources, as the setting is otherwise undocumented. Will update the wiki page if there's an inaccuracy there.

CChris

• webber123456

webber123456 - 2010-11-17

Has anyone ever found a working solution to this problem ?

I would like to update my version from 5.2 to latest available -

I tried mods suggested but nothing happened. - still no update

• Dave Brotherstone

That's not my understanding of how auto-update works.  The 15 days setting in the config.xml is how often N++ should check for an update.  The file that says what version is "current", lies on the website, and is manually updated (I presume by Don).  This update is done, as far as I'm aware, when the release is considered stable enough.  There was a change is the gup.exe with (from memory) 5.4, so versions prior to that will not auto-update - due to a change in the way SF downloads works.

The current file on SF is reporting 5.7 as the latest version.  Presumably because the 5.8 stream is still in flux, and we've had a quick succession of 5.8.x releases.  If 5.8.4 turns out to be pretty stable, I would imagine that would be changed.

You can see for yourself what happens when you visit the url (the version on the end indicates your current version)
    http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/commun/update/getDownLoadUrl.php?version=5.6.3

The 15 days simply says how often it should check this url.

Cheers,
    Dave.