Menu

copy causes window to minimize

jgonnering
2013-11-12
2015-04-03
  • jgonnering

jgonnering - 2013-11-12

I'm using Notepad++ 6.5.1 and whenever I highlight text and right click, then copy, the window "minimizes" so that it only shows the min, max, and close buttons in the top right. Is this a "feature"? I have looked at preferences, googled, and cannot find anything on this. VERY annoying. Any advice would be appreciated.

• cchris

cchris - 2013-11-22

First of all, rename the plugins folder to something, say "lugins", and see if problem persists. If it doesn't, some plugin interferes and you'll need to disable and renenable them selectively till you find the culprit.

Please report the result back.

CChris

• jgonnering

jgonnering - 2013-12-02

thanks for the response. I have tried what you suggested and the issue persists. I have a feeling this has something to do with my dual-monitor and nvidia drivers perhaps. thanks again.

• cchris

cchris - 2013-12-15

Now what is your operating system? Under Win7/8 there are issues with auto snapping of windows, is that on?
    I have an Nvidia video card under Win8/64, and never had such issue.

CChris

• Thomas Lindqvist

I have the same problem. Minimize, maximize and close program is the size after 'select all + copy' and in my case it will be placed in the upper left corner of the screen. N++ is version 6.5.2 and OS is Windows 7. Tried renaming the plugins folder. Didn't help.

I have a second monitor and NVIDIA NVS 4200M graphics card, driver version 237.62.

• helloguys

helloguys - 2014-02-25

Same problem on 6.5.4.

The only workaround is to use keyboard shortcut (such as Ctrl-C, Ctrl-Ins) to copy.

• DV

DV - 2014-02-27

Looks like this issue is specific to some configuration option(s) of Notepad++. Personally I can not reproduce it.
    Could you rename your Notepad++'s config.xml file and try to reproduce this issue without it?

• elmarikon

elmarikon - 2014-03-03

Hi guys!

I have the same strange behavior here.
    I just updated to V 6.5.4 on Windows7.
    I tried starting NotePad++ without all the plugins, with only SciLexer.dll in the folder and renaming the original one...
    I also tried removing the Config-filder in C:\Users...\AppData\Roaming\Notepad++
    Still the same.
    'shrinks' to minimum in the left top corner on (right click)copy or (right click)paste...

So it seems not to be a problem of the config file or the plugins then...

Apart from that: great tool, I love it!!

All the best from Hamburg!

ElMarikon

• jasper.p.jenkins

just created an account to find out about this. mine is shrinking to the left upper corner. portable install.

strange thing is, i believe i had deleted the previous portable version I had which was 6.5.4 and don't remember this happening.

did a plugin get updated recently?

• jasper.p.jenkins

ok, fixed it here by turning of nViewDesktopManager

it's an extension that's part of some of the NVidia drivers. Here is a shot.

• mc2mc2

mc2mc2 - 2014-03-18

ok, fixed it here by turning of nViewDesktopManager

Well, yes, but if one is using the Desktop Manager then this isn't really a fix. I had started another related thread about this behaviour a while back.

The problem isn't just confined to right clicking and attempting to select copy; any action from the right click menu seems to have a bad effect of one sort or another on the NotePad window.

It seems pretty clear to me that this is really an issue with Notepad++.
    So, I guess I need to figure out how to submit a bug report. Are there any other diagnostic methods to use with Notepad++. A "safe mode" perhaps?

• cchris

cchris - 2014-03-22

I once had a mildly similar problem - right clicking on a file in Explorer was fine, but right clicking in the folder tree would cause some program to misbehave.
    After days of forum tracking I eventually found out that an extension handler for an unrelated program was misbehaving in 64 bit. Since I didn't need the menu entry, I went to my registry editor, searched for the menu handler and removed the corresponding key. Fixed.

The offending handler was one for Spybot SnD 2, and it was inded in conflict with nVidia desktop manager.

CChris

• juztsteve

juztsteve - 2014-06-20

Never mind cchris, I figured out how to respond to commnets. Anyway, the issue with the copy, cut, and paste causing the app to minimize or shrink can be resolved as follows:

In nView Desktop Manager click on "User Interface" and uncheck the "Add nView options to system menus" box and all should be good. At least that is what worked for me.

Regards

• Ted Cusumano

Ted Cusumano - 2014-06-24

The Nview Desktop Manager turning option off did the trick.........thanks for tip.

• Zen

Zen - 2014-06-30

seems to me this is a nVidia software issue, not NPP

• Rob Holden

Rob Holden - 2015-04-03

I agree, the problem didn't start until I turned on that feature in nView. Notepad++ has been solid. Great app.

• jasper.p.jenkins

how could it be an Nvidia issue if nothing else but NPP shows this behavior?