Menu

6.3 slow loading

2013-02-25
2013-03-07
  • Keith Collyer

Keith Collyer - 2013-02-25

Since upgrading to 6.3 (Build time Feb 2 2013 20:25:18), NP++ is very slow to load, around twenty seconds even without loading a file. A bunch of plugins also updated around the same time, so it could be them. What can I do to help track this down? Is there any way to dump a list of plugins so I can remove them and reload?

• Loreia2

Loreia2 - 2013-02-25

Just rename plugins directory into something else, say plugins2, and start NPP again. Then start enabling plugins one by one, until you find the offending one. You will enable plugin by copying it back to plugins directory an restarting NPP.

BR,
    Loreia

• Keith Collyer

Keith Collyer - 2013-02-28

Thank You! I'll give that a try. I also noticed that the toolbar has disappeared. I can fix it per use, but it's gone next time round. Quite possibly the same approach will deal with both problems.

• Keith Collyer

Keith Collyer - 2013-02-28

tracked it down, and it is the same source for both: CustomizeToolbar.dll. This is probably not surprising, given the symptoms, not only did the toolbar disappear, but the window was opening but was unresponsive, presumably while checking the toolbar. It seems I have the latest version of the plugin (3.3.0.0), so maybe something in NP++ 6.3 broke it

• Loreia2

Loreia2 - 2013-02-28

If you wish you can try to notify plugin author about the problem.

BR,
    Loreia

• Don HO

Don HO - 2013-02-28

so maybe something in NP++ 6.3 broke it

I can ensure you that Notepad++ keeps always (and will always keep) the backward compatibility on the plugin API.
    That says, if a plugin has broken, then the plugin author should check in his/her code to make sure he/she didn't "subclasse" Notepad++ (a unstable way to change the behaviour of Notepad++).

Don

• btriffles

btriffles - 2013-03-06

I had the same problem as Keith. In addition, I had a related problem with older versions of Notepad++ and the Customize Toolbar plugin in which an empty toolbar would fill the entire screen until I reset the toolbar to its default set of icons. For me, the solution to both problems was to delete the following file (with Notepad++ closed):
    %appdata%\Notepad++\plugins\Config\CustomizeToolbar.dat

I suspect the file was somehow corrupted. The author of the plugin probably needs to implement better detection of (and recovery from) corrupt data files.

• Keith Collyer

Keith Collyer - 2013-03-07

Thanks for the tip! deleted the file and all now seems well