Line change marker

Andrew
2009-03-30
2012-11-13
  • Andrew

Andrew - 2009-03-30

I just got 5.3.1, and now there is a little marker in the margin when I make a new line. I find this useless and annoying. I'm sure some people have a use for it, but I do not. Unfortunately, I don't see a way to disable it. In the preferences window under Edit Components, there is an option "Display line change state margin", but when I uncheck it, the marker in the margin disappears, and instead the whole line is highlighted with that color.

It's odd that this feature was supposed to be in 5.3, but I never encountered it until I got 5.3.1.

• Thell Fowler

Thell Fowler - 2009-03-30

Disable 'line change state margin' in Settings->preferences->Edit components.

Do, so for both views if desired.  If one view has the margin showing and the other has it disabled and you are editing a document that shows in the other view as cloned it will have the markers if you are editing from the view with the markers.

If you have a document open that already has line change markers showing and you disable the margin you can File->Reload to clear them.

almostautomated

• Nikolai Neff

Nikolai Neff - 2009-05-27

>>Disable 'line change state margin' in Settings->preferences->Edit components.

I got so used to this little markers since 5.3 that I know really miss them in 5.4 and I cant find this option to toggle them back on again.
        Has this feature been removed since 5.4?

• Fabio

Fabio - 2009-05-27

Yes and no: it is no longer part of Notepad++, but it's still there as a plugin.
          Go to the menu Plugins->Change Markers: the options are there. But it's strange that it is disabled, it should be enabled by default. If, for some reason, you don't have that plugin, download it again.

• Andrew

Andrew - 2009-03-31

Reloading the file got rid of the highlighting, but this is still a bug.

• Bernhard

Bernhard - 2009-11-10

Hi,

in v5.4.3 and v5.4.5 there has been a plugin **"Change Markers"** that was removed in v5.5.1

It has been enabled by default with
    **Extensions - Change Markers - Display: Change Mark Margin**

(I guess so - in the German version it is placed under "Erweiterungen").

I also found this feature very useful, so I hope that it will be included again in a newer version!

• cchris

cchris - 2009-11-10

A number of freezes and crashes has been traced to ChangeMarkers, which is why it no longer ships with standard installation,and only shows in Plugin Manager when you check "Show unstable plugins". The crashes occur only under certain circumstances, so you may be like me and find it very useful, or like others who lost time in unsaved lost work.

Whenever it is rewrittten - the fix has been found to be a complete rewrite -, it will probably included backn after thorough testing.

CChris