feature request: easier "use notepad++ from the command line"

Roger Pack
2013-11-14
2013-12-17
  • Roger Pack

Roger Pack - 2013-11-14

Hello. I've noticed that when I run notepad++ to edit something "from the command line"
    c:> "c:\Program Files (x86)\Notepad++\notepad++.exe" my_file.txt

it pops up and works, but it basically "hangs" the console that it was spawned from, like this:

C:>"c:\Program Files (x86)\Notepad++\notepad++.exe" my_file.txt

it is stuck here

disallowing further input in that console window. So I have to subsequently exit notepad++ in order to be able to go back to the command line and be able to continue my work there from where I left off.

Suggestion/feature request:
    Could I request a new command line parameter like /spawn or /new-window or what not, that basically starts the .exe but allows me to return to the command line and keep working?
    notepad.exe and many other GUI apps seemingly can do it.

Thank you very much for your consideration.
    -roger pack-

• dail8859

dail8859 - 2013-11-15

Hi,
    I just tried running Notepad++ from the command line to edit a file as you have done, but my command prompt does not get stuck like yours. I'm not for sure why...maybe someone more knowledgeable about the internal workings can help more.

I'm using Windows 7 with Notepad++ v6.4.1

Last edit: dail8859 2013-11-15
    • Roger Pack

Roger Pack - 2013-12-17

Yeah if I run it like
      c:> "C:\Program Files (x86)\Notepad++\notepad++.exe"

then it basically doesn't return until notepad exits. Is this how you run it?

• dail8859

dail8859 - 2013-12-17

Yes. I just copied and pasted it again to make sure. It doesn't cause cmd to wait for N++ to finish. It returns immediately and I can still use the command prompt while N++ is running.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks