Menu

See all characters/bytes in a file

2012-09-26
2012-11-13
  • Bernhard Ege

Bernhard Ege - 2012-09-26

We already have "Show All Characters" in the View->Show Symbol menu, men it still hides values from us, e.g. UTF8 byte order marks. The encoding menu didn't even say that the file was "UTF with BOM" but just "UTF8".

I had to install Cygwin to dump the file contents as hex (od -t x1 myfile.txt) to see why the file errored when bulk loading it into out MSSQL database.

So, can we please get an option that shows really all characters in a file without no exceptions (unlike the Show All Characters)? Or if it is present, where is it? :-P

• mlippert

mlippert - 2012-09-27

That's why I always put the HexEditor plugin back when the install moves it to disabled. I don't use it much, but it can be very handy and I haven't actually ever encountered the instability the installer talks about.

• Bernhard Ege

Bernhard Ege - 2012-10-09

Where did you find that HexEditor plugin? The plugin manager doesn't show it. :-/

• Byzod

Byzod - 2012-10-14

Well it do hide that, but should it be shown?
    You can judge it from right bottom, "ANSI as UTF-8" means UTF-8 encoding without BOM, "UTF-8" means with

• Bernhard Ege

Bernhard Ege - 2012-10-14

Well, I was expecting to see all characters. Right now, I have to use cygwin, od and less to see all characters of the files. I was honestly hoping that I could just use notepad++ for this. I hope np++ will be able to view all characters in a file in the future.

• cchris

cchris - 2012-10-21

In Plugin Manager, check "show unstable plugins". Then you'll see HexEditor.
    Some people have reported crashes that went away by removing the plugin. You've been warned.
    I you only need to inspect the file, then ask my old friend frhed, it does a nice job as a standalone hex editor.

CChris

• Bernhard Ege

Bernhard Ege - 2012-10-21

Thank you for the information, cchris.

I don't think I'll need a standalone hex editor as I mostly need to merely inspect files. And for that part, the (unstable) HexEditor plugin may be good enough. Otherwise I'll continue to use Cygwin (od -t x1 file | less).