Spell Check?

scott
2004-09-23
2012-11-13
  • scott

scott - 2004-09-23

Hello,

I recently came across this and really like it.  It may steer me away from JEdit, even when I get more familiar with it. ;) 

One question, is there a way to interface a spell checking plug, like Aspell, on this?

Just curious...

Thanks,

Scott

• Nobody/Anonymous

IF you have MS Word installed a relatively simple solution is Spell.vbs from http://www.megapathdsl.net/~yandl/scriptG.htm

I put Spell.vbs in the main Notepad++ directory, then add a shortcut to shortcuts.xml where the command is wscript $(NPP_DIRECTORY)\Spell.vbs

I assign it to the Alt+F7 key (Ctrl="no" Alt="yes" Shift="no" Key="118") because that is not assigned in the default Notepad++ setup, and F7 is the spell check key in TextPad, which I used for years (and still do, occasionally).

Usage: copy text into the clipboard, start Spell.vbs and make corrections (you are actually spell checking within a temporary MS Word document), then paste back into the Notepad++ session.

The big dependency, of course, is MS Word. At the moment, however, everywhere I use Notepad++ MS Word is already installed.

• Don HO

Don HO - 2004-09-27

Hi Scott,

Not yet.
      I'm preparing for the plugin (it's quite a big subject).
      To interface with Aspell, why not? It seems a good point to do the conception of plugin.

regards
      Don

• HaveFun2000

HaveFun2000 - 2006-06-03

[quote]I'm preparing for the plugin (it's quite a big subject). [/quote]

Hi Don,

its more than 1,5 years ago. Are there any news to include a spell check to Notepad++ ?

Regards,
        Jan

BTW: N++ is an excellent tool ... a basic installation for me, on every PC I use :)

• Nobody/Anonymous

I'm loving the look and feel of Notepad++, but really need a spellchecker.
          Please sort it oot!

(and thanks for your great work thus far)

M

• James E. Martin

James E. Martin - 2007-01-30

Have you tried aspell (http://aspell.net/)?  You can download Cygwin (http://cygwin.com) and run aspell on your notepad++ files at the command line (after cd'ing to the right directory).  If your file is on the desktop, you'd issue these two commands at the prompt (here, $):

$ cd /cygdrive/c/"Documents and Settings"/username/Desktop
            $ aspell -c filename.ext

Notepad++ is smart enough to notice that another app has modified the file and will ask if it should be reloaded from disc (say yes to that). 

aspell is very easy to use, fast, and open source.  It comes, I believe, as part of the default Cygwin install.  If not, you can add it on via the Cygwin installer.  Cygwin lists all of your drives, based on their letter name, as virtual subdirectories of the "/cygdrive/" directory.  So you can use Cygwin-based tools with any file on your Windows system. 

Wheat

• James E. Martin

James E. Martin - 2007-01-30

Besides the Cygwin solution I mentioned elsewhere in the thread, there's also a Windows port of aspell.  I haven't tried using this yet, but it might be just the ticket for those who don't want to do a full Cygwin install just to use aspell (though, trust me, if you install Cygwin, you'll find yourself using it all the time). 

Here's a link:  http://aspell.net/win32/

I'll test this out and post back,

Wheat

• Nobody/Anonymous

I thought about to implement it into Notepad++. Be patient, at first I will remove some bugs in Notepad docking and in Explorer. After that I start with integrating aspell.

I would like to implement it because of one simple reason:
      Notepad is in the main part a text editor ;). It should have a spell checker.

Best Regards
      Jens

• Nobody/Anonymous

You wrote:

I thought about to implement it into Notepad++. Be patient, at first I will
        remove some bugs in Notepad docking and in Explorer. After that I start with
        integrating aspell.

I would like to implement it because of one simple reason:
        Notepad is in the main part a text editor ;). It should have a spell checker.

Best Regards
        Jens

If it's a text editor, why isn't there a default extension of .txt for saving files? Or, better yet why not let people choose there own default extension for saving files. I'm real tired of typing .txt to save a file.

• Nobody/Anonymous

Jens,

Please keep us posted :-)