Menu

Starting a CS Wrapper App from the USB Device Listing

2014-06-03
2014-06-06
  • Daniel Wong

Daniel Wong - 2014-06-03

Hi,
    I am new to CS and obviously a lot newer to using the CS Wrapper so please bear with me. Say I manage to get more than one Nikon camera connected to my PC, how could I select and open a particular camera (one at a time) please?
    Thanks in advance.

Last edit: Daniel Wong 2014-06-03
  • Daniel Wong

Daniel Wong - 2014-06-04

Just in case I'm not clear, you know when we click on the Computer button in the program menu (?), a file explorer is opened that displays the different mass storage drives. What I am thinking of is something similar that enumerates the connected cameras and which will allow me to open a particular camera by clicking on the respective icon.

Thanks and Regards,

• Thomas Dideriksen

Hi Daniel,

Connecting multiple cameras is not well-supported by the Nikon SDK (and therefore not by my wrapper). It does works in some situations, though. See https://sourceforge.net/p/nikoncswrapper/wiki/Frequently%20Asked%20Questions/ (Can I connect multiple cameras to the same PC?) for details.

My wrapper will currently open all connected devices automatically - this was a design decision on my part. What exactly are you trying to achieve? Why would you leave a connected camera in a closed state?

Thanks,

Thomas

• Daniel Wong

Daniel Wong - 2014-06-06

Hi Thomas. thanks for the reply. I am working on a project that requires cameras to be adjusted on a remote PC via a WiFi connection. The cameras will have to be adjusted at every shot and if possible, triggered simultaneously. Adjusting the shots one at a time is allowable and whether the connection is closed is not an issue. What would you suggest please?

I am hoping that the suggestions here https://sourceforge.net/p/nikoncswrapper/discussion/general/thread/94d75fbb/
    will work and as a start am trying to implement it. So closing the connection isn't the issue as long as I have access to the multiple cameras.

Thanks and Regards.

Last edit: Daniel Wong 2014-06-06
  • Thomas Dideriksen

What camera models are you planning to connect to the remote PC? If you're connecting two different camera models, such as a D5200 and a D7100 you're good. That will work.

Depending on your synchronization requirements, you may run into issues with simultaneous triggering. If you need very precise synchronization software-triggering is probably not the best approach. You might need some kind of hardware trigger mechanism (such as Nikons IR remote).

If you're planning on connecting two identical camera models you will most likely run into problems. I am not convinced that the suggestion in the thread you refer to will work. Unfortunately I have not been able to test this personally since I don't have access to two identical cameras, so you MIGHT be lucky. It should be easy to test, so I would encourage you to try this first.

Personally I think he only way of making two (or more) identical cameras work simultaneously is to control each camera in a separate process (as mentioned in the frequently asked questions - https://sourceforge.net/p/nikoncswrapper/wiki/Frequently%20Asked%20Questions/), but this is not currently supported by the wrapper so you would have to create the process isolation system yourself.

Hope this helps?

Thanks,

Thomas

Last edit: Thomas Dideriksen 2014-06-06
  • Daniel Wong

Daniel Wong - 2014-06-06

I will only be using D7000s and at least 4 a time.

Will I be able to select the cameras one at a time please? This is also an alternative and this is why I phrased the initial question the way I did.

Thanks and Regards.

Last edit: Daniel Wong 2014-06-06
  • Thomas Dideriksen

Currently there is no way to do this, unfortunately.

You could close the device by calling Shutdown on the NikonManager object, and then create a new NikonManager instance to open a device again. The problem is that the NikonManager automatically attempts to opens all the attached devices and there is currently no way to control which device is opened first.

You could tweak the wrapper yourself to support this - it shouldn't be too hard.
    If you want to go that route, I could give you some pointers on what code you would need to change.

However, closing and opening devices like this takes time (maybe a couple of seconds) - so it would make it even harder (impossible) to achieve trigger synchronization.

Thanks,

Thomas