Menu

Feature Request: Search by "Desc"

2014-01-31
2014-02-28
  • Gene Mosley

Gene Mosley - 2014-01-31

I would like to be able to find switchports based on text in the port description.

• Jonathan Yantis

Jonathan Yantis - 2014-02-06

Hey I missed this earlier but it's a great idea and I'll see if I can slip it in to an update to this version.

For now you can grep /opt/netdb/data/intstatus.txt for descriptions on the command line which I use a lot for scripts. For instance I have one script that checks all ports with a tag in the description to make sure they are up and connected, otherwise it sends out an email. We have so many redundant links these days it's nice to tag them with a description to be monitored.

Anyway there's a lot of one liner type report scripts and such you can write against that data if that's your thing.

• Travis Acton

Travis Acton - 2014-02-25

Hey Jonathan that's awesome! Can you let us know when it's done please? Great Stuff! Love your work!

• Gene Mosley

Gene Mosley - 2014-02-06

I will look into that a little deeper. Honestly I hadn't really thought about going outside the GUI!

• Jonathan Yantis

Jonathan Yantis - 2014-02-28

Travis,

I think you should be good to go on description searches from both the CLI and GUI. Try running svn update in /opt/netdb/ as the netdb user and see how it goes. Depending on your install you may need to copy over netdb.cgi.pl to /usr/cgi-bin/netdb.pl. Then you need to add desc_search to the appropriate levelx_report in /etc/netdb-cgi.conf and it should show up for you under the list of queries in the GUI.

Glad you like the program and let me know if you come up with anymore ideas. As long as they are generally in scope with the program, I'm open.

Also I'm attaching my ealert script I talked about. If you label a port with EALERT in the description and run this from cron, it will email you about any ports that are down with EALERT in the description. We use this to keep track of all our redundant ports that silently fail.