Menu

Visual Studio 2010 Support?

2010-12-07
2014-02-19
  • Jeff Heaton

Jeff Heaton - 2010-12-07

I am trying to use NDoc on a project that I upgraded from Visual Studio 2008 to 2010.  Everything worked find on 2008, but with 2010, I get:

Could not load file or assembly 'c:\tools\cruisecontrol\projects\cs-encog-core\stage\src\encog-core-cs\bin\release\encog-core-cs.dll' or one of its dependencies. This assembly is built by a runtime newer than the currently loaded runtime and cannot be loaded.

Exception: NDoc3.Core.DocumenterException

Could not load file or assembly 'c:\tools\cruisecontrol\projects\cs-encog-core\stage\src\encog-core-cs\bin\release\encog-core-cs.dll' or one of its dependencies. This assembly is built by a runtime newer than the currently loaded runtime and cannot be loaded.

Exception: System.BadImageFormatException

• Trevor

Trevor - 2011-02-04

Same here.
    It looks like a test was done on "recompiling a .net 3.5 app with VS2010", which would work, as the framework is the same.
    However, the latest published beta only permits frameworks up to 3.5 to be selected, and was most likely compiled against the 3.5 framework, so: It is not able to "reflect" into the .net 4.0 code.
    If the sources are recompiled against framework 4, and framework 4 is added to the list in configuration, this may go a long way to addressing this.
    There is clearly other work (needed or in progress) for new features in .net 4, but:
    Can we please have a build which at least loads .net 4 dlls?

• Trevor

Trevor - 2011-02-11

Update:
    I got the latest sources and compiled, using 2010. This needed fixing: in ExternalXmlSummaryCache:
    Note the "??string.Empty" added in the final line, to fix a NULL ref error. Maybe an active developer can add that fix?

public string GetSummary(string memberID, Type declaringType) {
    //extract member type (T:, P:, etc.)
    string memberType = memberID.Substring(0, 2);

//extract member name
    int i = memberID.IndexOf('(');
    string memberName = i > -1 ? memberID.Substring(memberID.LastIndexOf('.', i) + 1)
    : memberID.Substring(memberID.LastIndexOf('.') + 1);

//the member id in the declaring assembly
    string key = memberType + declaringType.FullName??string.Empty.Replace("+", ".") + "." + memberName;

With this fix, I documented aboout 25 dlls in 10 minutes, all of which are .net 4.0.

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2011-03-17

Thanks @travor2006 - that fixed one issue for me.

Also running on 64 bit Win 7 and found i had to change "ProgramFiles" to "ProgramFilesX86" in HtmlHelp.cs in the HtmlHelpCompiler method.

• postonoh

postonoh - 2012-07-16

Where can I find the source files

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2012-11-23

Install svn.
    Run following in commandline to check out the latest source:
    svn co https://ndoc3.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/ndoc3 ndoc3

You could browse latest source code after login source forge:https://sourceforge.net/projects/ndoc3/develop

• Ekwus

Ekwus - 2013-01-31

Hey guys

Thanks for making this work with 4.0 saved my sooo much time.

Cheers

Dave

• andres

andres - 2014-02-19

Hi, there is a build ready to install to use with .net framework or only from the source code?
    Thanks!