Menu

FSTENV with 14-byte operand under BITS 32

2009-01-28
2013-06-04
  • Nobody/Anonymous

Is there any syntax which allows FSTENV instruction with 14-byte operand under BITS 32?

I have tried:

o16  fstenv [eax]

which assembles to:

66 9B D9 30

what is wrong, because the leading prefix 0x66 have no effect on fstenv operand.

It must be:

9B 66 D9 30

• Nobody/Anonymous

(bits 32)
      call pm2rm
      bits 16
      fstenv [eax] ; *better* be less than 64k!
      call rm2pm
      bits 32

I'm pretty sure that's not what you have in mind. I see no indication that a size override prefix is going to have any effect, regardless where it's placed. Does 9B 66 D9 30 actually do what you want??? Seems to me that even if you *could* save ip instead of eip, and a truncated address... it would be totally useless.

I'm only certified for Beginner Questions, so I could be totally wrong, but what you want to do seems impossible to me...

Best,
      Frank

• Nobody/Anonymous

> I see no indication that a size override prefix is going to have any effect, regardless where it's placed.

See Intel manual Volume 1: Basic Architecture, chapter 8.1.10 Saving the x87 FPU’s State with FSTENV/FNSTENV and FSAVE/FNSAVE:

"The manner in which this information is stored in memory depends on the operating
        mode of the processor (protected mode or real-address mode) and on the operand size
        attribute in effect (32-bit or 16-bit)."

Under BITS 32, operand size override provides 14-byte state information instead of default 28-byte one.

According to the documentation, "o16 fstenv [eax]" should work, but it places the prefix 66 at wrong place. It must be behind the WAIT prefix (9B) to take effect.

That's why I ask for another syntax which would provide the 14-byte operand.

Best regards,
        MazeGen

• Frank Kotler

Frank Kotler - 2009-01-29

fwait
          o16 fnstenv [...]

???

Seems to produce the sequence you're looking for - 9B 66 D9 ...

Seems like kind of a PITA to have to write it that way - wait, oh wait, don't wait... Appears to store different information with/without the 66 - I haven't confirmed that it's "right"...

Best,
          Frank