When using a Logitech G930 headset (and required drivers) in stereo mode (not 7.1) together with the WASAPI output mode on Windows Vista/7, Mumble will only output to the right earphone on the headset. Voice transmitting works fine. When switching the headset back to 7.1, playback is correctly using all the earphones again. Fiddling with the positional audio seems to make it a little better, but does not fix it. This seems to be cause by the WASAPI output mode being confused between surround sound and stereo output?
I realise this may not strictly be a Mumble issue, but I'm logging it here just for future reference and in the hope that at some point someone will figure out what the exact issue is here and fix it. This issue only exists for Mumble: other applications do not seem to suffer from this.
- Switch the Logitech G930 to stereo mode
- Restart Mumble
- Audio output (other people or loopback) is only played to the right earphone
- Configure Mumble to run in Windows XP (SP3) compatibility mode
- This will force Mumble to use DirectSound output mode
- Using DirectSound output mode, this issue disappears