Menu

PDF Tools permanently removed

Tools
Tom Phelps
2013-09-04
2018-06-20
  • Tom Phelps

Tom Phelps - 2013-09-04

The PDF Tools have been permanently removed due to unethical behavior by Péter Szabó. The code Multivalent.jar includes components copyrighted by PracticalThought.com, and Szabó has been illegally redistributing it. Szabó reverse engineered the code in Multivalent.jar, then reported the techniques used as his original inventions in an article for the TeX Users Group. Szabó copied the easy parts of the software in Python, but still uses Multivalent.jar because some techniques are beyond his technical skills.

You try to give away free software and this is the thanks you get.

• kai

kai - 2013-09-26

Dear Tom,

I very much regret this. I've been using the multivalent tools for many years now, and as far as I can see these tools really have some unique functionality. So many thanks for providing these tools! They have made me more productive countless times.

best, kai

• Philipp Krüger

Philipp Krüger - 2013-10-17

I don't get it - are the tools really offline now? What is this "Multivalent20091027.jar" file I can still download? And also, just as a side note: removing code that a lot of people use and cherish just because somebody allegedly copied it illegally does not make sense at all. It's not like the person at fault is punished. It's the rest of us also using it...

Also, was multivalent capable of compressing the pictures, too? I think that's the main thing that Szabo character was trying to do...

Last edit: Philipp Krüger 2013-10-17
  • Mark Austen

Mark Austen - 2013-10-28

Dear Tom,

Whilst I completely understand your point of view regarding unethical behaviour, you have left those of us who use the tools somewhat in limbo. I could ask if this is ethical behaviour on your part but I won't since you must think that it is appropriate behaviour or you would not have done it.

In the meantime, where can we purchase a licensed copy of these wonderful tools?

Or have you just abandoned the whole idea?

Regards,
    Mark

• Pablo Rodriguez

Pablo Rodriguez - 2013-11-07

Sorry to read this. Tom

But why don’t you offer your highly superior PDF compression method to Adobe?
    Developing it with LZMA could be very interesting for them.

Best,

Pablo

• Alister Hood

Alister Hood - 2018-06-20

Hi,
    At https://sourceforge.net/projects/multivalent/ it says "PDF tools for compress, impose, decrypt/encrypt, split/merge have been moved."
    Based on this thread it should say "removed" rather than "moved", otherwise it is confusing, as it makes people go looking to see where they have moved to.