how to gB an SNMP MIB for MPD5

mohammad
2011-07-20
2013-03-27
  • mohammad

mohammad - 2011-07-20

Hi there

it's been a 2 week testing period of MPD5 , and it works like a charm .. we are moving to production with MPD5 as an LNS to terminate DSL users .. however , some questions arose :

1-how to get an SNMP MIB to show the number of connected users - virtual interfaces -
    2- Bandwidth utilisation for each interface , and collectively .
    3- i've read somewhere that SNMPD could cause the server to crash .. is this issue solved yet !?!?
    4- what's the deal with compiling MPD5 with or without the FLOWTABLE .. !?!? is that a serious issue !?

thanks in advance for your quick reply  

• mike tancsa

mike tancsa - 2011-07-20

For user level accounting,we rely on RADIUS records. For more detailed forensic analysis netflow on the outside facing interface is meets our needs as we can tie the IP traffic back to the individual user.  (we actually use argus, but its essentially the same thing). snmpd wont cause crashes, but it adds a lot of CPU overhead.  I forget which is worse- bsnmp or netsnmp in terms of how its implemented.  With either of those, you can extend the enterprise mib to ask  mpd which can  spit out the number of users from the command line. e.g. on bsnmp, I have the following so I can check the temp of the CPUs

extNames.2 = "temp0"
    extCommand.2 = "/sbin/sysctl -n dev.cpu.0.temperature | /usr/bin/sed -e 's/C//g'"
    extNames.3 = "temp1"
    extCommand.3 = "/sbin/sysctl -n dev.cpu.1.temperature | /usr/bin/sed -e 's/C//g'"

OID .1.3.6.1.4.1.2021.8.1.101.2 and .3

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

JavaScript is required for this form.

No, thanks