Menu

Split-window mode: middle-click pasting and line numbering

Dmitry
2015-07-02
2015-07-10
  • Dmitry

Dmitry - 2015-07-02

Thank you for medit – finally I seem to have found a "near-perfect" editor for my needs!

I've noticed two small bugs in the split-window mode (I was using the vertical split, probably the same would happen in the horizontal mode).

1) The line number in the status bar doesn't update.

2) High-lighting a region in one half of the window and trying to paste with middle-click in the other doesn't work (this one is more annoying, as one of the reasons to use split-window regime is to copy between two locations).

Let me add that I am currently using the one behind the most recent release of medit (the default in Xubuntu), so I do not know whether these things have been addressed already.
    By the way, is a detailed release history available from somewhere?

• Yevgen Muntyan

Yevgen Muntyan - 2015-07-05

Yep, line number bug is there. Not sure about middle-click, I will need to boot my linux to test. Does it work in gtk-demo? I think that has a demo of duplicated text views. There isn't release history other than the NEWS file: https://bitbucket.org/medit/medit/src/83128bc2a8d26606648048d2873188fb4609c553/NEWS?at=default, but that isn't always complete.

• Dmitry

Dmitry - 2015-07-08

To answer your question, I lack the knowledge of what gtk-demo is (if you can give me a link to an example, I'd be happy to try it and let you know).

Shall I open a bug-report regarding the line numbering?

Another question: I have run into some other little bugs, and also came up with some (relatively simple and natural) feature suggestions. To be specific: there is a bug with undo-buffer (sometimes it fails), but it would take some effort to find a reliable way to reproduce it (and there were a few other things that would also be "less easy" to report properly). I would do my best to report those issues if somebody will actually look into them, so, if I may ask, is medit actively developed these days?

P.S. The feature suggestion I had in mind was to add "current column" variable to the menu-scripting environment, and to add the "starting column" command-line option. These things would help, for instance, with LaTeX's "backward search" and "forward search" (it already works, but such "column tuning" would make it even better).

• Yevgen Muntyan

Yevgen Muntyan - 2015-07-10

Well, unfortunately medit development is stopped right now, for various reasons. It's not dead, but I can't promise anything specific. You don't have to report the bugs separately, since you just did anyway.

• Dmitry

Dmitry - 2015-07-10

I see. The project is great, I sincerely hope it is back to active one day!
    Sorry that I cannot offer contributing beyond reporting minor issues.