External subtitle support

Help
Tamás
2013-10-17
2014-09-04
  • Tamás

Tamás - 2013-10-17

Hello,

It would be really great if someone could write a short summary about the state of external subtitle support in recent versions of MiniDLNA/ReadyMedia.

Particularly, I am wondering if external subtitles are supported at all, which subtitle formats are supported, what have to be done in order to get the server recognize the subtitle file, if multiple subtitles are supported.

To be honest, I am absolutely unfamiliar with the technical details of UPnP/DLNA and I don't know what kind of support for external subtitles does the specification provide. But based on information gathered from discussion boards I assume this DLNA server does provide some kind of support for .srt files.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Best regards,
    Tamás

(I am using MiniDLNA 1.0.21.)

• radenkovich

radenkovich - 2014-03-09

I see in release logs it should be enabled and some people in web got it working but I still have no luck...

• Rob Abbott

Rob Abbott - 2014-03-31

Putting the .srt file in the same directory as the media file, both with the same file name, works for me.

e.g.
    /path-to-media/media.avi
    /path-to-media/media.srt

will serve up subtitles when media.avi is viewed.

You should check your minidlna.log for errors if you're not seeing the subtitles. And upgrade to a more recent release if you can.

• Craig Chambers

Craig Chambers - 2014-09-04

The server offers support as mentioned above, but much of this is down to the client implementation.