#1996 stmaryrd package and pk fonts

Fonts (73)


I still think that there is a problem with the stmaryrd package and I can explain it in a reproducible way. If I compile this file:


with pdflatex, then I get this at the .log file:

<C:\\Documents and="" Settings\\JC\\Local="" Settings\\Application="" Data\\MiKTeX\\2.9\\fonts\\pk\\ljfour\\public\\="" stmaryrd\\dpi720\\stmary10.pk=""><C: Program="" Files="" MiKTeX="" 2.9="" fonts="" type1="" public="" ams="" fonts="" cm="" cmr12.pfb="">

As you can see, the document uses two fonts, stmaryrd10 and cmr12, but in the case of stmaryrd10, it uses a .pk font instead of a type 1 font. I can solve this problem and I have done so before; all I have to do is to follow these instructions:


and, when a text editor opens up, to put

Map stmaryrd.map

there. Then, I have to move the .map files to their correct location. But the next time I upgrade MIKTeX I will have to do this all over again. It should not be necessary.

Best regards,

Jose Carlos Santos


  • José Carlos Santos

    After filling this bug report, I tried to rebuild the font map files but, this time, I got this error message after doing initexmf --mkmaps:

    fc-cache.EXE: Windows API error 1113: No mapping for the Unicode character exists in the target multi-byte code page.
    mkfntmap.EXE: The operation failed for some reason.
    mkfntmap.EXE: Data: C:\Program Files\MiKTeX 2.9\miktex\bin\fc-cache.EXE
    initexmf: The operation failed for some reason.
    initexmf: Data: C:\Program Files\MiKTeX 2.9\miktex\bin\mkfntmap.EXE

    Best regards,

    Jose Carlos Santos

  • U_Fischer

    U_Fischer - 2011-05-04

    I can confirm the problem: The installation of the package stmaryrd forgets to add the map file entry (Map stmaryrd.map) to updmap.cfg.

    Regarding the fc-cache error: Try to run fc-cache --verbose. Perhaps this tells you if fc-cache doesn't like a configuration entry. (My guess is that you are using accented chars in your user name. )

    Ulrike Fischer

  • neo

    neo - 2012-12-03

    Doesn't work for me either but I don't know if it's the same problem.
    It says "Font \U/stmry/m/n/12=stmary10 at 12pt not loadable: metric data not found or bad". I looked at the updmap.cfg and it contained the "Map stmaryrd.map" entry. I'm lost...
    Edit: I'm use LuaLaTeX by the way.

    Last edit: neo 2012-12-03
  • U_Fischer

    U_Fischer - 2012-12-03

    Look up the path of pdftex.map in your log file. If it is in your user profile then you will have to run "updmap" on the command line to update pdftex.map (a multi user installation of miktex updates only the system wide pdftex.map when installing fonts).

    Ulrike Fischer

  • neo

    neo - 2012-12-03

    pdftex.map is indeed in my user profile but running "updmap" didn't change anything.
    Edit: It also happens on my second Windows machine where I got the same setup.

    Last edit: neo 2012-12-03
  • neo

    neo - 2012-12-07

    As a workaround I'm now using the following which suits my needs:

  • Christian Schenk

    • Owner: Anonymous --> Christian Schenk
    • Status: open --> attic
  • Christian Schenk

    • status: attic --> fixed
    • Milestone: --> None

Log in to post a comment.