nmh 1.5 has been released. See http://download.savannah.gnu.org/releases/nmh/nmh-1.5.tar.gz. I've attached the release notes.
Since this release contains incompatibilities with MH-E, I'm raising the priority of this item.
Release notes for nmh
Ken points out the following item:
The first is that post(8) now requires a From: header in all drafts that
it processes. This was done to bring some sanity to the way nmh determines
the local mailbox name. The release notes have more details on this, but
a quick summary:
- If you use the default components files, the right thing will happen and
you won't need to change anything.
- If you have custom components files that have From: headers in them already
then you won't need to change anything.
- If you have custom components files in them that do NOT have From: headers
in them you will need to update them.
The second change is that I have included in the distribution a perl script
that I have been working on that does what I feel is reasonable handling
of MIME message handling as part of repl(1). This uses new functionality
in mhl and can be configured so it works fine with higher-level nmh
interfaces such as MH-E and exmh. See the release notes and "replyfilter"
in docs/contrib for more information.
Ken points out the following additional items:
- comp, forw, and dist now process all drafts through mh-format(5) and now suport new command line arguments -from, -to, -cc, -fcc, and -subject.
- Nmh's idea of the local mailbox is now configurable via a new profile entry, Local-Mailbox.
- The -attach option is now the default for send (using the header Nmh-Attachment) and -attachformat 1 is the default attachment type.
- Command editing and filename completion (via readline) is now available in whatnow
- Preliminary support for improved MIME handling when replying to messages. Yes, a long requested feature has a solution, and it can be used by higher-level interfaces such as exmh and MH-E. See the release notes and docs/contrib/replyfilter for more information.
Henrique, who was brave enough to try out nmh 1.5 with MH-E wrote the following:
Just installed 1.5.1 on xemacs 21.5, FC16 work system (will try at home later on FC17) and the Resent-From: requirement on dist doesn't play well with mh-e 8.3.
The lack of that header produces a mhmailXXXXXX file on ~/ and a postXXXXXX on either ~/ or mh's "Path:" (maybe on both). The mhmail file has the draft with an error message informing that Resent-From header is missing, but mh-e thinks it resent it and doesn't show it.
For now I just added a hardcoded insert "Resent-To" in mh-distribute (mh-comp.el), and will wait for Bill to take care of it :-)
And this bullet on the 1.5 announcement:
- comp, forw, and dist now process all drafts through mh-format(5) and now support new command line arguments -from, -to, -cc, -fcc, and -subject.
is also responsible to mh-comp not processing (just inserting?) the components file, resulting in an interesting draft folder.
Ticket moved from /p/mh-e/feature-requests/164/
I looked into the issue with component files today. The problem is that in earlier versions of nmh, files like /etc/nmh/components are simple text files that #'mh-read-draft sucks into the drafts file. In nmh 1.5, these files are now formatting template files.
To make matters more complicated, I don't see a simple command that MH-E could invoke to convert the template file back into an old-style components file. It looks like we have to go through comp(1) and friends. So I suspect this won't be a quick fix.
I did a little more research re: component files. Maybe this will be easier than I feared. MH-E already uses repl and forw for composing replies and for forwarding; some light testing indicates that the change to use template files is not a problem for them. It looks like it's just composing a new message from scratch that's a problem.
"comp -nowhatnowproc" does the template processing, deposits the draft in the right place, and exits. So I think #'mh-send-sub should do that, rather than trying to find the right components file and using it to form the draft. Also, this approach is compatible with earlier versions of nmh, at least back to nmh-1.3.
The issue with comp(1) was fixed in MH-E 8.6 with this bzr changeset:
committer: Bill Wohler <firstname.lastname@example.org>
branch nick: emacs-24
timestamp: Mon 2014-09-29 21:52:10 -0700
Release MH-E version 8.6.
* NEWS, MH-E-NEWS: Update for MH-E release 8.6.
* mh-e.el (Version, mh-version): Update for release 8.6.
* mh-comp.el (mh-insert-x-face): Ensure that mh-x-face-file is a
string before trying to use it (closes SF #474).
(mh-bare-components): New function to create a temporary initial
components file; replaces mh-find-components. Improve the temp folder
and file names as per a suggestion from Bill Wohler. Also address
XEmacs compatibility issues: use mm-make-temp-file instead of
make-temp-file, and only pass one argument to delete-directory.
(mh-edit-again, mh-send-sub): Use mh-bare-components instead of
mh-find-components (partially closes SF #468).
The issue with comp(1) was fixed in MH-E 8.6. It'd be helpful to enumerate the remaining issues.
At least one remaining issue is that redistribution doesn't seem to work. See the thread starting at http://sourceforge.net/p/mh-e/mailman/message/34494666/ for details.
Log in to post a comment.
Sign up for the SourceForge newsletter:
You seem to have CSS turned off.
Please don't fill out this field.