Menu

Remuxing mkv's to mpegts

2008-11-12
2013-05-30
  • Marius Grannæs

Marius Grannæs - 2008-11-12

Hi!

Would it be possible to add an extra flag to transcoding?
    I have a lot of mkv files which won't play on my playstation 3.
    These file can be remuxed into mpeg 2 transport stream with tsmuxer ( http://www.videohelp.com/tools/tsMuxeR ). This way I keep both the h.264 video and the ac-3 audio.
    This conversion takes about 3 minutes to do and the video does not lose any quality.

Since transcoding is so fast I would much rather write the transcoded file to a temporary file and play that. This way I can pause, rewind, ff and so on.

So what I am looking for is basically a way to tell mediatomb to wait until the transcoding application finishes and then serve up the content.

• Daniel Wiberg

Daniel Wiberg - 2008-11-13

Being able to remux the container instead of transcoding would be great, then a lot more files would be playable without requiring a state-of-the-art computer.

• Eric Davis

Eric Davis - 2008-11-19

Can you find any readme files for that linux version?  Everything I find is in Russian.    I would imagine It could work if the output could be directed to screen rather then a file.

• boilerjt

boilerjt - 2008-11-19

Perhaps something like this may work...

<transcode mimetype="video/x-matroska" using="mkv2ts"/>

<profile name="mkv2ts" enabled="yes" type="external">
         <mimetype>video/mpeg</mimetype>
         <accept-url>yes</accept-url>
         <first-resource>yes</first-resource>
         <accept-ogg-theora>yes</accept-ogg-theora>
         <agent command="vlc" arguments="-I dummy %in --sout #duplicate{dst=std{access=file,mux=ts,dst=%out}}  vlc:quit"/>
         <buffer size="10485760" chunk-size="262144" fill-size="524288"/>
      </profile>

• Marius Grannæs

Marius Grannæs - 2008-11-24

I can't point you to any documentation, but I can point you to a very nice script that remuxes everything for you:

http://sticky123.blogspot.com/2008/03/remuxing-mkv-to-m2ts-on-linux.html

boilerjt: I think you missed the point. Its fairly easy to remux, but what you are suggesting is remuxing on the fly, which results in files that can't be paused, rewound or ff'ed.

• boilerjt

boilerjt - 2008-11-24

Sorry about that...  Actually, my client (DirecTV HR20) can pause without any issues on a transcoded stream.  I tested this by pausing for an hour and then resuming.  Must be a PS3 thing.  Of course I can't FF or RW...