Menu

Makepp on latest cygwin or active state perl

Help
Anonymous
2010-01-07
2013-03-15
  • Anonymous

Anonymous - 2010-01-07

Until recently makepp has worked fine under windows with perl 5.8 with cygwin. Now cygwin has been update and does not include perl 5.8 anymore. However it fails horribly with perl 5.10 with a lot of problems everywhere.
    The same goes for other perl versions like active state perl.

Has there been any attempts to make this work?

• Daniel Pfeiffer

Daniel Pfeiffer - 2010-01-08

Happy new year Henrik,

I have been thinking that I need to upgrade my test environments everywhere to include 5.8.9  and 5.10.1 which are only tested on some platforms.

But the still fairly up to date 5.10.0 passes the test suite fine, both the cygwin one as well the strawberry and active state ones.

Since these independent perl installations start failing at the same time for you, I suppose it must be something about your Windows again — maybe the new Snowwhite Windows and the seven dwarves? :-)

Please go to the t directory where you unpacked the makepp distro and run (preferably from cygwin): ./run_all.t -T

This should have no fail messages, only dots and letters on the 2nd line.  If it does fail, there's a new subdirectory named after your perl version, which contains the <testname>.failed directories and corresponding .log files.  Please send me that in a tar if they don't help you see what's wrong.

best regards
    Daniel

• Nobody/Anonymous

Happy new year to you as well Daniel. I wish the best for you and your family in the year to come.

I will try that. I can tell you that I am mostly interested in the cygwin build because we depend on other cygwin tools anyway. However I noticed several weird things. One most annoying problem is on Windows 7 where "makepp -j x" will start spawning a new console window for each perl instance. This results in hundreds of windows being opened and closed giving a matrix like effect… until the main console window dies and everything crashes. This is a bug in perl and windows 7 though.

As far as cygwin goes I'll try shortly to post you the required information.

• Henrik

• Daniel Pfeiffer

Daniel Pfeiffer - 2010-01-10

Hi Henrik,

I almost knew Win7 would be causing trouble :-(

As for the many windows, I also think that is either a perl or a cmd/command.com (whichever Win7 comes with) issue.  Mpp only calls system, so this is beyond our control.  Try:

perl -e 'system "sleep", 60'

This should then pop up a window for 60 seconds.  If so this will probably be fixed in the latest or next Perl version, because that would be a major headache for many Perl scripts.

Not sure how this relates to your main window crash.  Maybe something can't cope with many concurrent processes, though I'd be surprised that Win would introduce such a regression at a time when even laptops come with quadro CPUs.

regards — Daniel

• Nobody/Anonymous

Actually the perl statement doesn't open up a new window. I think it's a bug in Windows itself. The issue with the main window crash cannot be delegated to anything else but Windows itself.

Also I havn't forgotten about sending you a dump of perl 5.10 cygwin … but just havn't had a suitable machine for this yet.