Windows
majjk
2012-06-30
2021-06-04
  • majjk

majjk - 2012-06-30

I would like to use LuckyBackup on Windows as well (Windows 7, 32 bit), not
    just on Linux, and have a couple of questions:

• as the Windows version is, judging by what Bruce Marriner says himself, a half baked attempt to make it run on Windows... will there in the near future be an official Windows version of LuckyBackup, with all features working?

• Windows documentation is offline (temporary?), but luckily Google's cache was there, so I could see that scheduling does not work. If I use Bruce Marriner's version of LuckyBackup, is there a way of achieving scheduling in a different way (don't know what that would be, but it is a deal breaker for me as I do need scheduling, otherwise it is of no use to me)

Lastly... I do hope there will be a full and official Windows version of
    LuckyBackup, as it is a great tool. Keep up the good work!

• Loukas Avgeriou

Loukas Avgeriou - 2012-06-30

Hi Maj,

thank you very much for your interest in the windows version of LB :)

I'm afraid the news are not very good though.
    I suppose Bruce can provide a more "official" answer since he's the port
    maintainer, but I can say that it is not easy and maybe not possible at all to
    have all features of LB working for windows. This is mainly because some
    essential tools that LB uses (such as cron for scheduling) are not available
    for windows (as far as I'm aware).

As far as the scheduling is concerned, you cannot directly use the LB feature,
    but you can use any windows scheduling tool and manually provide the
    luckybackup command.

Please have in mind that the ports of LB (OS X, windows, OS/2, freeBSD etc)
    are a responsibility of their maintainer and are not directly related to the
    main LB (linux) project (Of course there is interaction between them).
    I just wanted to point out that every port is official.

For once more, thank u for the nice words maj :)

• Bruce

Bruce - 2012-12-31

majjk, I know this is a bit late but scheduling can be done using the Windows port of luckyBackup. To do this you can use the Windows Task Scheduler to run luckyBackup using command-line arguments to tell luckyb which profile/task you want executed. If you need help configuring this let me know and I'd be happy to help.

• Yuriy Otyutskiy

Yuriy Otyutskiy - 2019-01-30

Hi, Bruce.
      Say me please, how i can use the Windows Task Scheduler to run luckyBackup using command-line arguments?
      I can run LB using command-line with profile. But I dont know how use other arguments.

• smaragdus

smaragdus - 2021-06-04

It seems that Bruce Marriner Windows port website is gone so that luckyBackup for Windows is no longer downloadable.