Menu

immediate mode, smartphone app

Help
2009-01-08
2013-05-14
  • David Kaminski

David Kaminski - 2009-01-08

I have two questions...

1.  Does Luaj have a mode to execute commands immediately when they are typed in?

2.  Is is possible to install Luaj as a application on a BlackBerry or other smartphone?

• .jayderyu

.jayderyu - 2009-01-08

I hate to say it while the API works they tend not to respond to the forum :( If you want to ask I suggest an email to Ian Farmer direct from the contact list. It's not quick replies, but he does get back to you.

1. Luaj I believe does allow for String execution in a Closure(running enviroment). If there isn't a direct way there is still away. So I would say yes.

package org.luaj.sample;
      import org.luaj.platform.*;
      import org.luaj.vm.*;

public class SampleJ2seMain {

public static void main(String[] args) {
           String script = (args.length>0? args[0]: "src/test/res/swingapp.lua");   // loads file as a string
           Platform.setInstance( new J2sePlatform() );
           LuaState vm = Platform.newLuaState();
           org.luaj.compiler.LuaC.install();
           vm.getglobal( "dofile" );
           vm.pushstring( script );
           vm.call( 1, 0 );    // executed
        }
      }

As you can see with the above code when the lua code is executed. It's just a string value.

2. Luaj should run on any device that supports J2ME. I know almost all cellphones run a version of J2ME, so I would assume Smartphones do to. On a quick search it looks like Black Berry also has a Java enviroment. So that should be good to go too.

There are sample codes. In the code above, just use the  "new J2mePlatform()" and vm.push/call you string.

You may want to experiment a bit.

If you don't mind compiling your lua code(something I don't understand if your using a script language) then you might want to try Kahlua. It is smaller.