Menu

Kerberos support - need help

Help
2007-01-23
2013-05-09
  • Nuno Rodrigues

Nuno Rodrigues - 2007-01-23

Hi,

I have a whole network of users to manage. And they all have Kerberos IDs.
    So I was wondering... why not use their IDs with LPRng? I've spent some hours trying to figure this out, but still no success.
    I can have the job transfered from client to server machine, but when it comes to printing, I can't figure it out how to do it. I tried doing something like this:
    SERVICE=P USER=someuser,
    but this is not enough. I have a great number of users, so there must be another way to put this to work.

Can anyone help me? Has anyone managed to put something like this running?
    Help would be appreciated. By the way, I'm running this on a Debian Stable System, LPRng 3.8.28
    Thanks in advance,

Nuno Rodrigues

• grumpf_

grumpf_ - 2007-02-19

hello Nuno Rodrigues,

the lprng-howto contains a description howto do it:   http://web.mit.edu/source/third/lprng/doc/LPRng-HOWTO-16.html
      i hope you had read it :)

can you please say something about your hardware and OS ?

re,
      grumpf_

• workinghard

workinghard - 2008-10-28

Hi Nuno Rodrigues,

we had lprng-3.8.28 with MIT-Kerberos in production (~100 Users/~50 Printers). The configuration is really simple and the authentication worked pretty secure and stable.
      But there are several problems. First thing there is a bug that sometimes the printed job won't spool. I reproduced this behaviour with stress test.
      The other thing is that the user must have valid token. Its a problem if users stay logged in.

• grumpf_

grumpf_ - 2008-10-30

hello Workinghard,
        we are aware there is a bug somewhere under load but we did not succeed to reproduce it. can you please be more verbose who you created the bug ?
        can you please test the current version 3.8.A ?

TIA