Menu

Private and Public Server on same LAN?

Jazzjohn
2021-02-09
2021-02-11
  • Jazzjohn

Jazzjohn - 2021-02-09

I'm running a private Jamulus server on a Raspberry Pi. Works fine.

I set up a public server on a Windows machine.
    From another Windows computer on the same network, the client can connect to the private server by using the WAN IP.
    But I cannot see the public server in the connection list.

Also on the registration list https://explorer.jamulus.io/ the public server name shows up but shows Linux, not Windows, for the OS.

• Gilgongo

Gilgongo - 2021-02-10

From another Windows computer on the same network, the client can connect to the private server by using the WAN IP.

This would imply that you have port forwarding to all your LAN IPs I think, which would explain why connecting to a private server via a public IP (WAN) IP address shows your Rpi server I think. But it would also imply you are starting your Rpi server as a public server registering itself on the central server :-)

So I think you have something confused..

Try this: shut down both servers and wait for a minute or two, then go to https://explorer.jamulus.io/ and refresh the list. The server should not be listed.

Now start up the Windows public server. Refresh Jamulus explorer, it should be listed.

Try connecting another machine to that server, but using the Jamulus client connection window (NOT the WAN IP). Does that work?

If so, how are you starting the Raspbery Pi server? It should NOT be using the -e (or --centralserver) option. Start it up and see if you can connect to it using its LAN (internal) IP. Does that work?

• Jazzjohn

Jazzjohn - 2021-02-10

Thank you for the response.

Here's what I did to try your suggestions:

Shut down Win server and pulled ethernet cable out of Pi.
    Verified no server is listed on Jamulus server list.
    Started up Win server.
    It is now listed on server list. (as "MadisonJazzJam" with OS Windows
    On another Win computer, it is not listed on the connection list.
    On the other computer, unsuccessfully tried connecting using the local IP address of the server computer.
    Plugged the Pi back in. Successfully connected to it using the local IP.
    Now Jam explorer shows OS Linux.

Port forwarding is enabled on the router .
    Here is the Win server command line:
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Jamulus\jamulus.exe" -s
    Here is the Pi command to start the server:
    Jamulus -s -n -T --norecord -o "JazzJohnPi;Madison, WI;225

• Gilgongo

Gilgongo - 2021-02-10

Yes, PF isn't needed for public servers, It might simplify things if you could port forward just to the private server's IP only.

On another Win computer, it is not listed on the connection list.
      On the other computer, unsuccessfully tried connecting using the local IP address of the server

That's a bit odd. Feels like a firewall or some anti-malware thing getting in the way perhaps?

Jamulus -s -n -T --norecord -o "JazzJohnPi;Madison, WI;225

Hm. What happens if you start the Rpi like this?

Jamulus -s -n -T --norecord

(so without the -o stuff) Does Jam explorer still show OS Linux? For some reason it feels like your Rpi server is registering on the central server when it shouldn't be.

• Jazzjohn

Jazzjohn - 2021-02-10

I should have added port forwarding is only to the Pi . I assumed PF isn't needed for a public server.

• Jazzjohn

Jazzjohn - 2021-02-10

The Rpi private server works , so I'm going to forget about that server for now and just concentrate on getting the Win public server running.

From the client computer, I can connect to the Rpi 2 ways (WAN and LAN) but cannot connect either way to the Win server which I tried making both private and public. I tried PF and still could not connect.

What you implied that it's some Win-related anti malware or some other idiosyncrasy of win networking seems right.

Now for some reason, the Public server is listed correctly as OS Win so it appears that other users can see it and connect.

If I can't get it to work, I might just get a second Rpi and use that for a public server.

• DonC

DonC - 2021-02-10

Hi John,
    I expect that you have only one external IP address. So to use more than one server you will need to use different ports on those servers. Otherwise they appear to the outside world to be the same computer.

• Jazzjohn

Jazzjohn - 2021-02-11

Hi Don,
    That's what I'll do after I get the main problem solved. Another Win computer on the same LAN cannot connect to the Jamulus public server either through the local ip or the public ip. This is true with the Rpi out of the picture.