Menu

Jamulus 3.5.8 and Mac - El Captain 10.11

2020-07-08
2020-07-11
  • Dennis Burns

Dennis Burns - 2020-07-08

Is Jamulus 3.5.8 compatible with El Captain (OSX 10.11)?

Also … how do I find out which versions of Jamulus are compatible with which versions of the Mac OSX?

Normally when I download an update for an app. there is a text file explaining what exactly has changed, system requirements etc…

On the 3.5.8 update I see no info. Is this usually the case? Maybe I’m not finding the correct place on the sourceforge.net website?

I was trying to use jamulus with a friend today. We played a couple of days earlier without a problem (he was then on Catalina) but today on an older mac with 10.11 - he downloaded 3.5.8 and we could not connect at all.

Any clues?

Thanks!
    Dennis

• Scott Roewe

Scott Roewe - 2020-07-08

Will Jamulus run on Mac Os 10.9

• Dennis Burns

The compatibility info says -

A PC with either Windows 10, MacBook/iMac OS X El Capitan (v10.11) or higher, or Linux.

So it seems 3.5.8 should run with El Capitain ... correct?

I'm just trying to trouble shoot for a friend who cannot seem to connect to my server when using El Cap - but he can when using another machine with catalina. Also - I'm a guitar teacher trying use Jamulus - and different students have different OS's that they are using. I REALLY need to know if certain versions of Jamulus are restricted to certain versions of OSX. Then if i know that, I can trouble shoot more methodically.

• Gilgongo

Gilgongo - 2020-07-08

The "El Capitan (v10.11) or higher" guidence hasn't been properly tested, but comes from user reports on the forums of not being able to run it on versions lower. It's possible that some or higher OSX version has an incompatability, but without a suite of versions to run each Jamulus release against, I'm afraid we simply rely (as most small open source projects do) on user reports.

• Scott Roewe

Scott Roewe - 2020-07-08

In my experience it won't run on 10.9 at all

On Wed, Jul 8, 2020, 10:12 AM Dennis Burns bolder01@users.sourceforge.net
      wrote:

The compatibility info says -

A PC with either Windows 10, MacBook/iMac OS X El Capitan (v10.11) or
      higher, or Linux.

So it seems 3.5.8 should run with El Capitain ... correct?

I'm just trying to trouble shoot for a friend who cannot seem to connect
      to my server when using El Cap - but he can when using another machine with
      catalina. Also - I'm a guitar teacher trying use Jamulus - and different
      students have different OS's that they are using. I REALLY need to know if
      certain versions of Jamulus are restricted to certain versions of OSX. Then
      if i know that, I can trouble shoot more methodically.

https://sourceforge.net/p/llcon/discussion/software/thread/21413d5b8a/?limit=25#a762

Sent from sourceforge.net because you indicated interest in
      https://sourceforge.net/p/llcon/discussion/software/

To unsubscribe from further messages, please visit
      https://sourceforge.net/auth/subscriptions/

• Dennis Burns

Thank you for the education ... I have not used much in the way of open-source projects and was not sure what level of documentation is typical or not.

• Gilgongo

Gilgongo - 2020-07-08

Each project is different, and in Jamulus's case it's been around for about 15 years mostly unknown and largely relying on users to document it in various ways and places. When covid and lockdowns came along interest in it exploded, exposing the need to have a proper documentation set (which we created here although we have aspirations for better, particualry regarding translation). But the content is mostly only about three months old and is evolving quite quickly as we get feeback on it, as are feature updates to the software itself. Regression testing for the sort of thing you are talking about is quite hard and would need resources we don't have I'm afraid.

• Scott Roewe

Scott Roewe - 2020-07-08

Fair enough

I am willing to help in any way I can.

Where I need help is setting up a server.

My school set up a server and the ping time is 20 ms which is too slow, the
        connection is not good

Another school down the street set up a server with a ping time of 10ms
        which works well

I am trying to figure out what the difference is in how they set up the
        server, why one has a ping time of 10 and the other 20ms

Thank you,

Scott

On Wed, Jul 8, 2020 at 10:49 AM Gilgongo gilgongojones@users.sourceforge.net wrote:

Each project is different, and in Jamulus's case it's been around for
        about 15 years mostly unknown and largely relying on users to document it
        in various ways and places. When covid and lockdowns came along interest in
        it exploded, exposing the need to have a proper documentation set (which we
        created here https://github.com/corrados/jamulus/wiki although we have
        aspirations for better, particualry regarding translation). But the content
        is mostly only about three months old and is evolving quite quickly as we
        get feeback on it, as are feature updates to the software itself.
        Regression testing for the sort of thing you are talking about is quite
        hard and would need resources we don't have I'm afraid.

https://sourceforge.net/p/llcon/discussion/software/thread/21413d5b8a/?limit=100#b233/23be

Sent from sourceforge.net because you indicated interest in
        https://sourceforge.net/p/llcon/discussion/software/

To unsubscribe from further messages, please visit
        https://sourceforge.net/auth/subscriptions/

--
        Music Teacher
        New Roads High School
        Music Director
        Unitarian Universalist Church of Santa Clarita

• Jeroen Geertzen

Jeroen Geertzen - 2020-07-11

Scott, there may be many reasons why the ping time is 20 ms at your school and 10ms at the other. If you have cloud-hosted Jamulus server, you should make sure that the VPS you get is located in your geographical region, as close as possible. If needed try a local VPS hoster with a high-bandwidth low latency network. If your school set a server up on their own LAN which is accessible to the outside, it could be that bandwidth becomes a bottleneck. If 10s of students start using it at the same time both upstream and downstream of your school's internet connection may not be sufficient. Make sure to test with sufficient bandwidth. Ping time to a geographically close server typically range between 7-14ms. My AWS hosted server in my geographical region gives me ~8ms. With proper setup for each client (no wifi but cables, stable and fast home internet, etc.) I get between 25-30ms total latency which works well.