Menu

Client fails to start

2020-04-10
2020-04-14
  • Robin Rigby

Robin Rigby - 2020-04-10

As of Thursday morning the client fails to start - silent and unseen. The attached image from the event viewer seems to be all zeros where it might have been useful. This is FYI, as I intend to load v3.4.6 tomorrow.

Until Wednesday evening, the client had been starting normally, though we have had a variety of problems establishing a working connection.

We have had one good session with two clients and a server, all here at home behind one router / firewall / NAT table.

I have jamulus server online, on a shared machine, but no success at all. Clients connect and are logged by the server but there is no response. Admins will not allow sudo or access to firewall. Rightly IMHO.

Question 1: I have seen mention in these pages of similar connection problems but not quite the same. Someone mentioned various networking issues. Is there any more detailed info available?

I have bought a Raspberry Pi 4 and built a server on it, at home. I have full control of port forwarding and firewall and I see nothing in wireshark or firewall log except packets on port 22124. Nothing worked until I restarted the server without WiFi (turned off in raspi-config). This was not repeatable. The server then worked fine with or without WiFi until Wednesday evening. It still does. My colleague 10 miles away can connect to it but we cannot make music. We can see each other but sound only goes one way. The direction of success alternates, depending on how we fiddle with hardware setup. We have not yet found anything repeatable except the lack of success. :)

My laptop (1.8GHz) has native ASIO and everything just worked. He has a faster machine but has had to load ASIO4ALL. Question 2: should we expect better performance on either machine with USB Behringer (etc) boxes?

Be safe
    Robin

• Robin Rigby

Robin Rigby - 2020-04-10

btw Is there a more verbose logging mode? R

• Gilgongo

Gilgongo - 2020-04-10

Hi Robin,

Is there a more verbose logging mode?

Not as far as I know. Does v3.4.6 work?

Clients connect and are logged by the server but there is no response. Admins will not allow sudo or access to firewall.

Although you don't need root access to run a Jamulus server, this does feel like some sort of firewall issue at their end.

should we expect better performance on either machine with USB Behringer (etc) boxes?

Hard to say, but from what you describe it sounds like you may have some form of audio routing/patching issue. Are you both using ASIO4ALL? Have you tried fiddling with the ASIO setup and devices in there?

• Robin Rigby

Robin Rigby - 2020-04-12

Hi

Does v3.4.6 work? No, I uninstalled v3.4.4 and installed v3.4.6. It
        fails in just the same way. FWIW, I saved you the install log, which looks
        normal enough, and the warning from Windows Defender, which doesn't (but
        doesn't seem to say much more than 'this is a new program'). Also three
        report files from Event Viewer. They haven't helped me very much. This
        makes it really difficult to work on the server.

. you don't need root access . No, but the things I would need sudo for are
        the same things they don't want me to do on a shared server! Like
        experimenting with the firewall and testing it without WiFi . I agree, it
        does sound like firewall but I have run the RPi while watching the firewall
        log in one window and the server log in another. Wireshark doesn't show me
        anything other than port 22124 (and port 22134 coming the other way, which
        is not affected by the firewall. Is it possible that Jamulus is dependent
        on some other service whose port I have blocked? I did try it wide open,
        without seeing any improvement. Normally, everything on the RPi is shut
        except 22124 and SSH. That doesn't help in the other case, where all the
        usual ports are open plus the one I have been given for Jamulus, which is
        not 22124.

Happy Easter

Robin

Sent: 10 April 2020 09:41
        To: [llcon:discussion] software@discussion.llcon.p.re.sourceforge.net
        Subject: [llcon:discussion] Re: Client fails to start

Hi Robin,

Is there a more verbose logging mode?

Not as far as I know. Does v3.4.6 work?

Clients connect and are logged by the server but there is no response.
        Admins will not allow sudo or access to firewall.

Although you don't need root access to run a Jamulus server, this does feel
        like some sort of firewall issue at their end.

should we expect better performance on either machine with USB Behringer
        (etc) boxes?

Hard to say, but from what you describe it sounds like you may have some
        form of audio routing/patching issue. Are you both using ASIO4ALL? Have you
        tried fiddling with the ASIO setup and devices in there?

Client fails to start
        https://sourceforge.net/p/llcon/discussion/software/thread/18e2676820/?limi t=100#a29b/7aaf

Sent from sourceforge.net because you indicated interest in
        https://sourceforge.net/p/llcon/discussion/software/

To unsubscribe from further messages, please visit
        https://sourceforge.net/auth/subscriptions/