Menu

Stereo?

2020-12-01
2020-12-29
  • Larry Guthrie

Larry Guthrie - 2020-12-01

When rehearsing with bandmates, am I listening and/or broadcasting in stereo?

• DonC

DonC - 2020-12-02

Hi Larry,
    That depends on how you have set the parameter "Audio Channels" in the "Settings" window.
    Don

• Larry Guthrie

Larry Guthrie - 2020-12-02

Thanks for your reply Don. I'm looking at this software for the first time
      so I am totally green. I was listening to some of the sample sessions on
      the Jamkazam site and I noticed the mixes were mono and very "flat".
      Jamulus seems to be the favorite with everyone and I would like to explore
      it further but I just wanted to make sure you could end up with a decent
      sounding mix among 3 or 4 musicians. I will carry on. Thanks again.
      LarryG

On Tue, Dec 1, 2020 at 11:41 PM DonC doncor@users.sourceforge.net wrote:

Hi Larry,
      That depends on how you have set the parameter "Audio Channels" in the
      "Settings" window.
      Don

Stereo?
      https://sourceforge.net/p/llcon/discussion/rehearsalroom/thread/4ec239fbf6/?limit=25#5519

Sent from sourceforge.net because you indicated interest in
      https://sourceforge.net/p/llcon/discussion/rehearsalroom/

To unsubscribe from further messages, please visit
      https://sourceforge.net/auth/subscriptions/

• Vincenzo

Vincenzo - 2020-12-03

In short, you may send and receive in mono, send and receive in stereo (makes sense if the source has stereo or two channels), send mono receive stereo. When stereo receiving is set, you have a pan control to place each track where you want. Plus, if you have your own server, you may record single tracks on server and then download and remix them at your taste.

• Larry Guthrie

Larry Guthrie - 2020-12-03

Thanks Vincenzo! Stereo image is important to me because IMO, most keyboard
          setups sound awful in mono. I'm new but trying to figure this out. I hope I
          can make it work. Cheers!

On Thu, Dec 3, 2020 at 7:00 AM Vincenzo vdm@users.sourceforge.net wrote:

In short, you may send and receive in mono, send and receive in stereo
          (makes sense if the source has stereo or two channels), send mono receive
          stereo. When stereo receiving is set, you have a pan control to place each
          track where you want. Plus, if you have your own server, you may record
          single tracks on server and then download and remix them at your taste.

Stereo?
          https://sourceforge.net/p/llcon/discussion/rehearsalroom/thread/4ec239fbf6/?limit=25#5519/ca72/6386

Sent from sourceforge.net because you indicated interest in
          https://sourceforge.net/p/llcon/discussion/rehearsalroom/

To unsubscribe from further messages, please visit
          https://sourceforge.net/auth/subscriptions/

• Gilgongo

Gilgongo - 2020-12-14

Out of interest, somebody asked me why it is that the pan control above a user's fader in the mixer only appears when they are sending in stereo. Do you know why this is? It's not like you can't pan a mono signal in a mix.

• Vincenzo

Vincenzo - 2020-12-14

i think mixing is only made server-side right now.

• David Kastrup

David Kastrup - 2020-12-28

The mixer is only valid for what a given user hears and has no influence on other users. What a user hears is what the server prepares and sends for them. If the server sends mono, panning a mono source is useless (though panning a stereo source would still change its balance, with the result still being equal on both ears). However, with "mono-in/stereo-out" the various mono signals are getting panned in the personal mix, quite facilitating listening transparency. A drawback in the current implementation of recording is that then a stereo signal gets written to .wav for mono sources (with both channels identical).

• Gilgongo

Gilgongo - 2020-12-28

If the server sends mono, panning a mono source is useless

The server sends a channel for each client, where each client can be panned regardless of whether they are sending in stereo or not, no?

Last edit: Gilgongo 2020-12-28
              • David Kastrup

David Kastrup - 2020-12-28

No, the server sends the finished mix. There would be no point in having a server instead of a peer-to-peer architecture like sonobus if everyone needed the full bandwidth for receiving all channels.

So to pan, you need either "mono-in/stereo out" or "stereo" as a setting.

If the Jamulus client wanted to be very clever, it could ask the server to send a mix without the player's own channel and fudge the player information in with the correct delay (not sure how the global mute-to-everyone-but-me works regarding delay). In that case it would be possible to provide a pan control for the player even in "mono" mode, and you could consider providing pan controls in lockstep for everyone else. Could help with hearing oneself out in a large ensemble.

Last edit: David Kastrup 2020-12-28
                • Gilgongo

Gilgongo - 2020-12-29

I see. So how does altering the volume of players in your the local mix work (and muting/panning them individually) if it's not at multi-tracked signal that's sent to the client?

• DonC

DonC - 2020-12-29

In my understanding all the mixing, levels, panning, muting is done on the server. That is why there is sometimes a lag between, for example, pressing mute and the mute happening. The information from your mixing panel is sent to the server where the mixing is carried out.
                    The client gets a ready-for-the-headphones signal.

• Gilgongo

Gilgongo - 2020-12-29

Ah OK. That makes sense (and I've just seen Vincenzo said that but I missed it). So that also explains why you don't get a pan control when somebody is in mono - I think...?

• David Kastrup

David Kastrup - 2020-12-29

"Gilgongo" gilgongojones@users.sourceforge.net writes:

Ah OK. That makes sense (and I've just seen Vincenzo said that but I
                        missed it). So that also explains why you don't get a pan control
                        when somebody is in mono - I think...?

You don't get a pan control when you are listening in mono. When
                        listening in stereo, you can pan either mono or stereo sources.

Personally, I don't find hiding the pan too great since the pan control
                        still does something when listening in mono when you are dealing with
                        a stereo source (in which case it influences the balance of the stereo
                        signal).

--
                        David Kastrup