Menu

Kicked Off Jamulus Session In Middle of Solo

2020-11-03
2020-11-08
  • Tom Merolla

Tom Merolla - 2020-11-03

This has happened a number of times to me. I'm connected to Jamulus with a group of people and in the middle of playing a song I get kicked off the session. According to the people I'm playing with this is usually accompanied by loud noise/static before I drop off. After closing Jamulus and reloading it works fine. Can it be CPU usage, Internet Drop or something else? Any ideas how to troubleshoot? I'm running Win10 on a laptop with AMD A12 7th Gen Chip in a 4 year old Acer, direct ethernet connection to the modem/router in our house and a cable internet provider (Comcast), Focusrite 18i8 AI. Typically upload and download speed should be OK. I've tried to use Win10 Event Manager to see if there were any Internet drops but for the most part seems OK. I am running Norton Antivirus 360. Should I disable this when using Jamulus? I minimize anything I'm running while on Jamulus so my CPU and Memory usage seems to be OK but I'm not sure how to log it to see if there are momentary blips. Should I also disable Win10 auto updates?
    Thanks,
    Tom

• Gilgongo

Gilgongo - 2020-11-03

Hi Tom - Seems a bit mysterious. Does this happen every time you play a session or just occasionally?

For this type of issue where it's hard to know what's causing it, I'd maybe try playing a session using Jamulus OS to see if the same thing happens. If it does then it's unlikely it's something on your machine so you can try looking elsewhere. https://sourceforge.net/projects/jamulus-os/

• Tom Merolla

Tom Merolla - 2020-11-04

Thanks Gilgongo. Will try disabling my Norton Anti-Virus first. Hope that helps.

• Huub

Huub - 2020-11-07

I know one case where the audio bitrate was somehow changed . Jamulus requires 48 kHz. Maybe you can check this.

• Tom Merolla

Tom Merolla - 2020-11-08

Thanks Huub. I think I figured it out. The key was that most of the times this happened was during a solo when I used my Boss SD-1 overdrive pedal. It's more than 30 years old. I noticed more and more frequently I was getting a squealing noise when I used the pedal. According to folks online it could be some sort of oscillation. I cleaned the contacts, switched to battery power, and for now the squealing has stopped. Hopefully no more issues with being kicked off Jamulus.