Menu

Availability of public servers

2021-02-09
2021-02-10
  • Jacques Poirier

Jacques Poirier - 2021-02-09

Since a lot of peoples are confined because of the Covid, Jamulus is very popular, and  maby too much.

The problem I want to point out is that it is sometime impossibe to establish a connection because there is no available space 150/150.

It seems that some peoples have set their Jamulus in a way that Jamulus server will start automaticly when opening their computer, even if they not intent to use it.

I suggest that Jamulus server that are not active be shot down after a certain amount of time, let say 2 hours.

Many planned sessions had to be cancelled or greatly differ because of the unavailability of room to insert our own server.

I don’t know how that can be achived, but, otherwise, Jamulus becomes very precious for our small group of musicians.

Last edit: Gilgongo 2021-02-10
    • Gilgongo

Gilgongo - 2021-02-10

Hi Jacques,

The issue of unused servers had been discussed from time to time. The feeling so far has been that forcing idle servers off the network might not be a good idea but I tend to agree that a large number of mostly empty server is a problem also because it creates a "ghost town" effect that discourages jamming. Nobody wants to join an empty server, and the more empty servers there are the less they all get used because of that perhaps. I think it's also true to say that servers used for jamming (as opposed to band/choir rehearsals) tend to be highly populated, which seems to indicate that the moment a server has more than two people on it, the chances of more people joining become much higher.

I tend to think that a possible solution might be to limit public servers by location instead. For me in London, UK, for example, already about 10 servers in London (all mostly empty most days). Perhaps if I tried to register an 11th server in London it would tell me the server was full so that somebody in, say, Manila (where we have none) can register?

• DonC

DonC - 2021-02-10

Hi Jacques,
    I have two suggestions:
    1) Use one of the servers that is available. There are many servers not in use. If you find one with good ping times use it.
    2) Try one of the other server lists. There is usually much room on the Jazz server, for example.

Don