Menu

Cannot run a version newer than 3.4.1

2021-01-08
2021-01-09
  • Tom Szakaly

Tom Szakaly - 2021-01-08

Hi folks,

I am running 3.4.1 on a Mac and have been for years.
    I was told it might be an idea to upgrade.
    I tried newer versions... firstly still a 3.4.X (can't remember the last number) and all I got was the 'jamulus quit unexpectedly' as soon as I tried running it.

I even tried the latest 3.6.2 version - I noticed the new design logo... but that also gives me the same 'quit unexpectedly' error message when I try running the programme.

I then returned to the 3.4.1 version - which ran perfectly... it even remembered my 'name'..!

Might anyone have any idea why I can't run a later version than 3.4.1 please...?

Cheers,
    Tom

• Vincenzo

Vincenzo - 2021-01-08

Which Mac OSX version?

• Tom Szakaly

Tom Szakaly - 2021-01-08

Thanks for your reply Vicenzo, It's 10.9.5

The other version of Jamulus which I tried was 3.4.3
        Only 3.4.1 works for me.

• Vincenzo

Vincenzo - 2021-01-08

MacOS X El Capitan v10.11 or higher for the last versions - Likely 3.4.1 is the last for 10.9.

• Tom Szakaly

Tom Szakaly - 2021-01-08

Ah, OK
      I shall try that... I have a spare Mac with which I can play around to test.
      Cheers, much appreciated.

• Tom Szakaly

Tom Szakaly - 2021-01-09

Hi Vicenzo,

OK I tried 3.6.2 on a Mac running High Sierra - and it does now work.

However...

Until now I have been using a Mac running an older o/s and Jamulus version 3.4.1
      and with that set-up I am getting just 30mS delay which is great - but I was told to upgrade... as I would see an 'improvement'.

With High Sierra & Jamulus 3.6.2 my delay (at best) is much worse - like 50 / 60mS... so now I am thinking "why try fixing it if it 'aint broken..?"

Also the audio connection is intermittent but that's probably a different issue which I didn't investigate.

So - why would upgrading both Mac o/s and also Jamulus version make things worse..?

• Vincenzo

Vincenzo - 2021-01-09

I do not think there will ever be improvements on delay with new versions , as well as worsenings - most of the delay does not depend on Jamulus.
        In this specific case, I would check whether there is something running on the slower Mac, e.g., Spotlight doing indexing (which will resolve in few hours), or Google Drive/Dropbox/Onedrive syncing contents, etc.