Menu

How to use a stereo instrument and mic

2021-01-09
2021-02-02
  • Christof Maluck

Christof Maluck - 2021-01-09

Currently I'm trying to explore if Jamulus can help our band to jam again after a long break due to Corona. Basically it seems to work fine. I also understood that I can assign two inputs (L/R) to 2 different sourcess, e.g. guitar and mic. But my question is: how about drums and mic for example. Drums have to be stereo. If I then want to add a mic, I need a second computer? Or is there a possibility to add more than 2 channels to the stream?

Thanks,
    Christof

• DonC

DonC - 2021-01-09

Jamulus itself only has 2 input channels.
    I would suggest putting a small mixer in front of your audio interface.
    Then you have full control, can mix down to two channels and are set to go.
    Don

• Vincenzo

Vincenzo - 2021-01-09

If you have sufficient bandwidth, yo may also launch two instances of Jamulus on the same computer, set on different devices. Or, if the mic is just to talk in the pauses, you may switch device when needed .

• Christof Maluck

Christof Maluck - 2021-01-09

This seems to work. I started two instances and connected. In that case I need probably to change profile manually always, but this seems to be a workaround. Thanks to both of you for the hints !

• Luuk

Luuk - 2021-01-11

In that case I need probably to change profile manually always
      No you don't, are you using Windows 10??

• DonC

DonC - 2021-01-11

Hi Christof,
      Make yourself a second shortcut to Jamulus where you set the --clientname and -i command line options.
      https://jamulus.io/wiki/Command-Line-Options
      The --clientname option sets the client name.
      The -i option sets the ini-file path and name
      For me the command line looks like this, for example:
      "C:\Program Files (x86)\Jamulus\jamulus.exe" --clientname "client3" -i "C:\Users\Don\AppData\Roaming\Jamulus\Jam3.ini"
      Then you have two separate instances of Jamulus that do not interfere with each other.
      Don

• Luuk

Luuk - 2021-01-11

You don't need to use --clientname option.
        Copy the existing C:\Users\<your username="">\AppData\Roaming\Jamulusjamulus.ini file to another name, for example JAm3.ini .
        Create a second Jamulus Desktop-icon bij copying the existing Jamulus Desktop-icon .
        Right click on the new made desktop shortcut, select 'properties' and type in the Target field `C:\Program Files (x86)\Jamulus\jamulus.exe" --inifile "C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Roaming\Jamulus\Jam3.ini'</your>

Last edit: Luuk 2021-01-11
        • DonC

DonC - 2021-01-11

The --clientname option is not absolutely necessary, but having the name in the top line of the main window helps reduce getting mixed up, which instance of Jamulus is which.

• Luuk

Luuk - 2021-01-11

You can place a recognizable name underneath the desktop-icon

• Christof Maluck

Christof Maluck - 2021-01-11

Thanks a lot for all the hints !!! I'm using a mac, but I guess it's the same basically.

I wonder why it's limited to 2 channels per instance. Isn't this an issue for everybody? You need a mic and an instrument. If you have a good modeler, your instrument will be stereo in any case. And at least for communication you need a mic as well. So why does Jamulus not support more than 2 channels?

• DonC

DonC - 2021-01-11

So why does Jamulus not support more than 2 channels?

The reason is that each additional channel means increased bandwidth. For questionable Internet connections this can be a problem. Jamulus was defined to support a stereo channel for every client. How many instruments, voices, etc. you may have, you need to mix down to 2 channels (1 stereo channel) per client.
      If your Internet connection and processing power allows you can run multiple clients.
      But to allow a happy Jamulus experience for a maximum of users one of the design criteria was to not overly extend the bandwidth requirement.
      Note that using mono, only one channel is transmitted, further reducing the needed bandwidth.

(A side note: I have seen that some of the peer-to-peer jamming apps are also now offering central server solutions, in at least one case packaging Jamulus with their product, because the bandwidth requirements of p2p are restricting to only very small groups of players. So we see that Jamulus' original design decision was not without merit.)

👍
  • Christof Maluck

Christof Maluck - 2021-02-02

I'd like to pick up that topic again: I'm trying to set up a Raspberry PI as client. The idea is to power it on and to have a connection to our server without any interaction.
    Now I have the same issue as on the Mac, but honestly I have no idea how to run two instances on the PI. Currently I start the jackd with the first interface, then jamlulus -c xxx.xx.xx.xx. This works fine.
    Now I would need to have another jackd connected to a different audio device and another Jamulus client. Does this work somehow?
    Or is there a way to mix by software upfront and then output the mix to Jamulus?
    I have a headless client (as mentioned: no interaction shall be needed), no GUI ! And 2 USB audio interfaces.

Thanks a lot !