Menu

Chat / Talk during Rehearsal

2020-12-27
2020-12-28
  • Andreas Kalchschmid

Hi all,

I am new here, and have a question, I couldn't find it using the search funtion, so, sorry if it's already there...

I am trying to set up a rehearsal for our band, Singer, Drums, 2 Guitars, Bass. I think I figured out all the instruments, but during a rehearsal we all will want to talk to each other between two songs. How do I setup this? Will the instrumentalists need a digital interface that supports their instrument AND a microphone ?

Kind regards, and thanks in advance,
    Kalle

• Gilgongo

Gilgongo - 2020-12-27

Hi Andreas - yes, if you want to talk to each other you will need some form of mic input to your computer. I put all the instruments I have, including a mic, into a small mixing desk, the output of which goes into my digital interface. Some interfaces may accept mic inputs too, or you may be able to connect a USB mic to a separate channel on your sound card/interface if it supports that, and set Jamulus to use both.

• Vincenzo

Vincenzo - 2020-12-27

Our drummer initially was just switching the device to the builtin mic of the computer when he had to speak, and back to the interface to play. However it is not practical, better to have two channels.

• Grigory

Grigory - 2020-12-28

I can highly recommend Loopback for Mac users: it's a virtual mixer, letting you do all kind of things: VST, microphone, sound module, etc.
    This lets me turn on/off my mic with click of a butting instead of switching devices in Jamulus, which is much more practical and simpler.