Menu

Standalone Jamulus box for clients?

Andrew S
2020-12-04
2020-12-04
  • Andrew S

Andrew S - 2020-12-04

I know people have posted about running Jamulus on linux on e.g. Raspberry PI's, and I'm aware of the Jamulus OS on a stick concept. But has anyone constructed a completely stand-alone Jamulus box, e.g. with included microphone - so all the user has to do is network it and get started?

I'm trying to think of the cheapest possible/simplest possible way to help musicians who are not IT literate and may not have a lot of money to join in with Jamulus sessions.

Ideally I'd like to give them a "box" which either has an external or built-in mic, that they simply plug in to their Internet router.

For example, I could pre-configure such a "box" to connect to a preferred Jamulus server - so no setup required. Simply network it and go. There remains the issue of a wired connection - but supplying a suitable ethernet cable should be sufficient for most routers. If I have to fall back to WiFi then the user would need to be able to access some sort of GUI to enter their WiFi credentials, which is a complication I'm trying to avoid.

Have you developed a design for this sort of use case? If you have I'd love to hear about it. Thanks!

• Vincenzo

Vincenzo - 2020-12-04

Jambox does what you need up to the point that someone has to prepare the box. The box is then accessible through a browser if needed, but even used as is if configured to connect to a specific server. The Author is here on the forum and helpful in case of need.
    One thread: https://sourceforge.net/p/llcon/discussion/533517/thread/096167a246/

Last edit: Vincenzo 2020-12-04
    • Andrew S

Andrew S - 2020-12-04

Excellent - thanks - that does indeed look like what I was after :)