Maximum allowed value for quota

2012-02-28
2013-03-26
  • Javier Amor Garcia

Hello,
    I would like to know what is the valid maximum value for a quota. It is fixed or file system dependent?. How I can get the exact number?. It is the same for users and for groups?.

Thanks,

Javier

• Jan Kara

Jan Kara - 2012-02-29

Maximum value for quota depends on quota file format. Format is filesystem dependent - e.g. ext4, ocfs2, or xfs have fixed quota format and their limit is 2^64 bytes / inodes. For other filesystems limit tends to be 2^42 bytes and 2^32 inodes for vfsv0 quota format and 2^64 bytes and inodes for vfsv1 quota format.

The limit is the same for users and groups.

• Javier Amor Garcia

Thanks for your answer, jkar.

• Javier Amor Garcia

Hello again,

However in a system with ext4 I can set only about 2TB,  if I have understood correctly your message I should be able to set 2^42 bytes quota!..

Maybe the quota file is in another format?. How I can get the real format the system is using?.

I am using the Ubuntu quota package version 3.17-6.

Regards,
    Javier

• Jan Kara

Jan Kara - 2012-03-07

And 2^42 is … 4 TB!  The limit really should be 2^42 - 1, so you should be able to set e.g. 3 TB or 4095 GB. If not, then speak up.

• Javier Amor Garcia

Sorry Jkar, I missed somehow your reply.

As I say in the last message only I can set up about 2TB not the 3 TB .

Since it seems the theoretical limit does not apply, how I can get the real capability on my system?

Thanks,
    Javier

• Jan Kara

Jan Kara - 2012-04-24

OK, I just checked and latest version of quota-tools and kernel supports quota upto 4 TB just fine. Another option would be to switch to vfsv1 quota format but that requires quota-tools 4.00 anyway so I'm afraid you'll have to update your quota-tools.

• Javier Amor Garcia

Thanks for your help, Jkar.