TO everyone struggling with C++

Help
Anonymous
2012-06-03
2013-06-12
  • Anonymous - 2012-06-03

So, I might be quite a novice in terms of C++, but still I get to run most libraries just fine.
    however this particular library took me entirely too long to compile a first version. I am probably not very qualified to say whether it's because the documentation absolutely blows or is so good that nobody else ever had any questions about it - however from my own experience I gotta say this has pretty much been a nightmare.

OK: so to all novices out there struggling here are some pointers, in order to get this beast of a JSON library running:

1. edit your JSONOptions.h, it defines what the library is going to look like:
    with help from https://sourceforge.net/projects/libjson/forums/forum/1119662/topic/4746879 I adapted mine to the following version.
    Use this to get you going:
    http://pastebin.com/G7ncxtuX

2. make all

3. you might have some missing depencies, as I did
    cp -r ../libjson/Dependencies  /usr/local/include/libjson/
    or wherever your location is

4. compiling
    I ended up with the following commands to my g++ compiler:
    g++ json.cc   -Llibjson -ljson   -I/usr/local/include/libjson

• Anonymous - 2012-06-03

forgot to add:
    in your actual code, things should look something like this:
    (again thanks to https://sourceforge.net/projects/libjson/forums/forum/1119662/topic/4746879

#include "libjson.h"  
    #include <string>

int main()
    {
        std::string json = "{\"RootA\":\"Value in parent node\",\"ChildNode\":{\"ChildA\":\"String Value\",\"ChildB\":42}}";
        JSONNode n = libjson::parse(json);

return 0;
    }

• Anonymous - 2012-06-03

here's a little function that might help you getting started:

#include "libjson.h"  
    #include <string>

void ParseJSON( JSONNode  n){
        cout << "starting to parse" << endl;
        JSONNode::const_iterator i = n.begin();
        while (i != n.end()){
            // recursively call ourselves to dig deeper into the tree
            if (i -> type() == JSON_ARRAY || i -> type() == JSON_NODE){
                ParseJSON(*i);
            }

// get the node name and value as a string
            std::string node_name = i -> name();

cout << "name: " << i->name() << " value: " << i->as_string() <<"<br>"<<endl;

++i;
        }
    }

int main()
    {
        std::string json = "{\"RootA\":\"Value in parent node\",\"ChildNode\":{\"ChildA\":\"String Value\",\"ChildB\":42}}";
        JSONNode node = libjson::parse(json);
        ParseJSON(node);

return 0;
    }

• Jonathan Wallace

The first couple of sentences in the "Building libjson" section of the documentation explains that you need to uncomment JSON_LIBRARY to use it in C++.  Read documentation about building before you try to build it. ;)

The bug in the makefile has already been solved, and the dependencies are now added correctly.  This will be fixed in the next version.

If this is your command
    g++ json.cc   -Llibjson -ljson   -I/usr/local/include/libjson
    Then you have g++ set up incorrectly.  You should not have to include anything in /usr/local/include, that is supposed to be one of g++'s default paths.  Try uninstalling and reinstalling g++ using an rpm.