Menu

2 instances of the application

Help
dott
2007-06-14
2013-03-22
  • dott

dott - 2007-06-14

When I write for example "worpad", "notepad" or "total-commander"…
    Then AL launch 2 instances of that application.
    There is something I can make to avoid this behavior?

• Rune Devik

Rune Devik - 2007-06-14

hmm.. Never ever seen that behavior.. Could you post the log file as well to see if something strange is going on. This file can be found under your appdata directory: C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\AL_log.txt if your running the English version of Windows.

The next thing you can test is to open AL, write wordpad and then hold your mouse over the wordpad icon that popsup in the lower left corner of the app. If you do that you will see which file is executed. Then try to execute that file manually to see if two instances are opened then as well..

• Rune Devik

Rune Devik - 2007-06-14

or do you mean that you have launched one instance of wordpad with AL then you launch another and a new instance is launched instead of the one you already launched gaining focus?

• dott

dott - 2007-06-15

NO, is the first.
      The log-file is empty because I erase all the files of the program (even the log-file and (applist.dat; config.dat; history.dat; aliases.txt) from %APPDATA%\AL) before reinstall it, in order to prove if that would solve the problem, but no.

Rune Devik wrote:
      -|The next thing you can test is to open AL, write wordpad and then hold your mouse over the -|wordpad icon that popsup in the lower left corner of the app. If you do that you will see -|which file is executed. Then try to execute that file manually to see if two instances are -|opened then as well..

I try that with several xxxx.lnk and work fine in Start-Menu or Run-Dialog but 2-instances in AL.

I began to write alias for all porgramas, because the alias work well, but is not the ideal

PS:Forget to say that in any case AL it is a great program. Mainly for who has used katapult and miss it in Windows.

• Rune Devik

Rune Devik - 2007-06-15

Hi

Think I found the error in the code so I will try to incorporate a fix for this and create a new version during the weekend. Thanks for the bug report!

• dott

dott - 2007-06-16

Ok.

• Rune Devik

Rune Devik - 2007-06-17

Will use a few days testing this new version before I let it out into the open but if you wanna try it out before it's released here on SF I have made it available to you here for a short while:

http://garageinnovation.org/AL/beta/

Think your bug is fixed but since I couldn't reproduce it I can't be sure though..

Changelog since version 0.1.6:

- Updated to python 2.5.

- upgraded to latest available wxPython version 2.8.4.0

- Now we listen to the directories that has been added to AL and request
         an idle reindex when they change. An idle reindex is a reindex that is
         performed only after the machine has been idle for 10 minutes. That is, no
         keyboard nor mouse input for the last 10 minutes. This will reduce the need
         for forced reindexes.

- Fixed bug where we sometimes when "guessing" encoding fired off more than
         one instance of the user requested application

- Set tooltip when using search plugins. Using the short description they offer.

- When a serch plugin fires, the pattern that triggers the plugin from
         the panel showing what's going to be executed is no longer displayed.

- Added username to unique application name used to figure out if an
         instance is already running so that several users on the same machine
         is able to use AL at the same time.

Enjoy
      - Rune

• Rune Devik

Rune Devik - 2007-06-18

Also please uninstall before installing this new version. This is important since I have changed the embedded python version. If you do not all kind of errors will fly..

• dott

dott - 2007-06-18

Thank you very much, the problem no longer exists in AL_V1_0_7.

• Rune Devik

Rune Devik - 2007-06-19

Great news :) I'll release this new version tonight then.