Menu

Problem with m4a "track number" tag.

Samuele
2014-03-29
2014-04-08
  • Samuele

Samuele - 2014-03-29

By changing the tag "track number" of an m4a file, it is stored only a part. Let me give an example to explain better: if I write 3/10 (3 of 10) is stored only 3.
    With the mp3 file is stored instead 3/10.

Is possible in the next update fix this problem?

• Urs Fleisch

Urs Fleisch - 2014-03-31

Thanks for the report. It would be helpful if you could tell me which version of Kid3 you are using and on which operating system/distribution. I have tried to reproduce the problem using Kid3 3.0.2.

When I write "3/10", "3/10" is stored. In earlier versions it was not stored if the track version was already the same (e.g. the old value was "3"), but this is not the case with the current version. The only problem I could see is that the "Settings/Tags/Tag 2/ID3v2/Use track/total number of tracks format" was not respected for M4A files edited using the "TaglibMetadata" plugin. I have now fixed this in Git, so that the total will automatically be added if this option is active.

• Samuele

Samuele - 2014-04-02

I'm using version 3.0.2 on Mac OS X 10.9.2

• Urs Fleisch

Urs Fleisch - 2014-04-03

I have tried to reproduce the problem using the same setup (OS X 10.9.2, Kid3 3.0.2), but it works. I enter "3/10" for the track number of an M4A file and it is stored correctly. Could you send me an example file showing the problem or explain me if my steps to reproduce the problem are not sufficient?

• Samuele

Samuele - 2014-04-03

• Urs Fleisch

Urs Fleisch - 2014-04-03

Thanks, now I could reproduce it. However, it only seems to happen if there is no tag present, so I had to remove the tag in order to reproduce it. The attached file has a tag containing a track number, with this file it does not occur. In the video, you have a file where no tag is recognized ("NO TAG" at the file icon) although it has some iTunNORM and iTunSMPB frames present, strange. If there is no tag recognized, Kid3 uses its generic functions and for the track number, the generic function only supports a single number. Once an M4A tag is recognized ("V2" at the file icon and "Tag 2: MP4" above the frame table), it works. So a workaround is to make sure that a tag already exists by setting any tag and saving it.

I hope that you can live with such a workaround, I doubt if I can fix this, because the detection of the tag is done in a library, not in Kid3.

• Samuele

Samuele - 2014-04-03

Ok thanks for the answer. So if there are no tags in the file, you must save 2 times. The second time the value is entered correctly.

• Urs Fleisch

Urs Fleisch - 2014-04-07

I managed to fix it. You can find a release candidate for the next release 3.1 in https://sourceforge.net/projects/kid3/files/kid3/development/.

• Samuele

Samuele - 2014-04-08

Ok ;)