Menu

Ubuntu: "Open recent" file list is always empty on startup

Help
2018-08-12
2018-08-15
  • Thorsten Kemper

Thorsten Kemper - 2018-08-12

For some time now, KeePass does not attempt to open the most recently used file on startup, and the file list under the menu item "Open recent" is empty.

Instead I have to navigate to my database manually. This was never a problem until a couple of weeks ago.

I'm on Ubuntu 16.04.5 LTS and KeePass 2.39.1. I could imagine this is a problem related to Ubuntu, but I thought I'd ask over here before going down that path. Any help would be much appreciated!

• Paul

Paul - 2018-08-13

You don't have write access to the KeePass config file so KeePass can't save settings.
    Does this thread help?
    https://sourceforge.net/p/keepass/discussion/329221/thread/d8c595ac/

cheers, Paul

• Thorsten Kemper

Thorsten Kemper - 2018-08-13

@Paul, thank you for responding. I think I do have write access.
    I found KeePass.config.xml in two directories: ~/.config/KeePass and /usr/lib/keepass2. Permissions are set to 664 and 644, respectively.

• Paul

Paul - 2018-08-14

Check that you have this value in ~/.config/KeePass/keepass.config.xml

<Meta>
        <PreferUserConfiguration>true</PreferUserConfiguration>
    </Meta>

cheers, Paul

• Thorsten Kemper

Thorsten Kemper - 2018-08-14

Thank you Paul, the setting was indeed set to false.

Do you have any idea what may have changed the setting without my (conscious) interfering?

• Paul

Paul - 2018-08-15

That setting is not changed by KeePass as far as I know. It is pre-set in the installation file, true for the installed version, false for the portable (zip) version. I don't know how it is set when installed / packaged in Linux.

cheers, Paul