Menu

Syncing between multiple devices.

Help
Radiation
2017-01-01
2017-01-05
  • Radiation

Radiation - 2017-01-01

So I have the latest KeePass installed on 2 desktops (Windos 7 and 8)
    and two laptops (Windows 8)
    and a Android phone using latest KeePass version.

I update/add passwords on each device.. How would I go about getting whatever I changed on one system to match on all the other systems.. I attempted to export a backup to Dropbox and had a KBX file and when I download the new file to my other device and attempt to sync, it will overwrite any new updated on current system with the old entries from the backuped up file.

• wellread1

wellread1 - 2017-01-01

See the thread here for how to share between Windows computers.

KeePass does not run on Android, but there are third party, file compatible ports of KeePass that do. You need to check the capabilities of the Android port that you use for instructions on how to share a database with KeePass. For example KeePass2Android can perform KeePass synchronization with a shared database on a cloud service and therefore can participate in cloud based synchronization with KeePass.

• T. Bug Reporter

T. Bug Reporter - 2017-01-01

You need to synchronize your various databases (on each device) with a master copy kept on a cloud service such as Dropbox. (The Dropbox copy is only for syncing, and shouldn't be edited directly.)

• fritzophrenic

fritzophrenic - 2017-01-03

Everyone keeps suggesting setting up synchronization triggers but I actually find it simpler and easier to install a plugin to do the sync for you, like KPGoogleSync, KeePassOneDriveSync, KeePassSync, KeeCloud, or KeeAnywhere. Then on Android use KeePass2Android and point it to the could copy of your database directly (which it will automatically sync with a local copy during use).

• T. Bug Reporter

T. Bug Reporter - 2017-01-03

Somewhat off topic, but regarding synchronization: I've noticed that after synchronization (specifically, after my "roll your own" trigger activates), the recent files list gets modified to show the sync'd database (which I never actually open, but only sync to) as item #1. Is this a flaw in my trigger, or inherent in the way syncs function? Is there a way I could keep my sync database off the recent list (other than not syncing to it)?

• fritzophrenic

fritzophrenic - 2017-01-04

I've seen that too, even with the KPGoogleSync plugin, and also during manual sync operations, so I guess it's inherent. I'd also like to know of any way to avoid it also though, I certainly don't need 7 different database_big-long-timestamp.kdbx files in my recent list!

• iminj

iminj - 2017-01-05

I use Syncthing for the task. Syncronizes KP database on 2 Windows machines, 1 Linux machine, 1 ubuntu VPS, and 1 Android phone (KeePass2Android Offline version). Flawless - (although I never open more than 1 DB at a time, which could potentially be problematic.)

• bill

bill - 2017-02-05

looks good with kpgooglesync is there a similar plugin for dropbox ?? with easy setup and sync secure