Menu

Auto delete keyfile

Help
Kelly
2024-02-27
2024-03-01
  • Kelly

Kelly - 2024-02-27

Hi, is it possible to auto delete the keyfile, after a configurable setting is set, when the wrong password is inputted, and get an email/notification on which device it was deleted from?

• Paul

Paul - 2024-02-28

No. This would require a web hosted password manager or background processes on your PC to to delete the key file and send email.
    KeePass is a local app only with not additional background processes.

Why do do think this would be required?
    You should use a key file and password, so an attacker must have both to open your database.
    What if the attacker stole your database and key file?

cheers, Paul

• Kelly

Kelly - 2024-02-28

I already use both. I was just wondering if this were possible.

• Paul

Paul - 2024-02-28

If I had access to your device I would not attempt to open your database. I would copy the database and any key files and take them away to crack.

cheers, Paul

• Kelly

Kelly - 2024-02-29

Wow, totally unhelpful reply. Please be more helpful, instead of being insulting, and rude.

• T. Bug Reporter

T. Bug Reporter - 2024-03-01

I don't see Paul's reply as any of those things. He was trying to advise you that the actions you are attempting to take would do nothing to stop a determined hostile agent from getting to your passwords. You are trying to prevent actions that a true cracker already wouldn't bother taking, because there are easier things to try, and because most crackers don't want your passwords specifically; they just want somebody's passwords. If yours are too hard to get to (as they are when you're using KeePass properly, with or without your extra precautions), they'll just move on to somebody else.

Last edit: T. Bug Reporter 2024-03-01
  • Dominik Reichl

Dominik Reichl - 2024-03-01

See also: https://keepass.info/help/kb/faq.html#clisrvsec

Best regards,
    Dominik