Backing up Keypass

Help
Tony
2016-01-22
2016-01-24
  • Tony

Tony - 2016-01-22

Thank you for reading this,

I want to make backups for Keypass and would like to know the best way to do this. I would like a back up on my external hardrive AND a USB.

When I try to make a backup to external hardrive I save and disconnect the drive then I cant open Keypass on my laptop. It is as if the file has been saved to another location and is no longer on my computer. I then have to repair database.

Any advice or suggestions would be most welcome.

Thank you

• steelej

steelej - 2016-01-22

The KeePass database is just a single file. The file extension (.kdb or .kdbx) will depend on the version of KeePass you are using. You use any backup software or even a file copy to copy the file to another location.

If you try to use KeePass to save in another location it will then remember that location which is then not accesssible when you disconnect the drive. The original KeyPass file should still be in its original location and you should still be able to open it. You should not not need to repair it.

• wellread1

wellread1 - 2016-01-22

In addition:

• If the Master Key includes a key file you must backup the key file.
    • If the Master Key includes a Windows User Account additional backup steps are required to assure recovery. For this reason you should consider not using the Windows User Account in the Master Key of any database you plan to backup.

• iminj

iminj - 2016-01-22

If you use lots of non-default settings, triggers, and configured plugins, you should also setup your backup software to save the following:

\AppData\Roaming\KeePass: KeePass.config
    \AppData\Local\KeePass:   PluginCache (folder)

• RootMan

RootMan - 2016-01-22

I back up and even COPY my keepass DB regularly and have nevre experienced anything like this. As pointed out it is just a regular file. I even back it up live. I use a simple sync app to copy it to a flash drive, several USB HDDs. I even simply copy the executable and plugins to all my computers when I upgrade or change something.

I recently started to use the Google Sync plugin and sync to my Google drive. It makes keeping the DB up to date easier. I still copy to my backup drives using the sync tool.

You must be fundimentally changing osmething when you copy the files. Try shutting KP down when you do the copy, then start it back up. As long as the files - the executable and the DB - are still where they started it should work just like it did before.

Last edit: RootMan 2016-01-22
  • T. Bug Reporter

T. Bug Reporter - 2016-01-22

By default, KeePass tries to open the same file that was open the last time you ran KeePass. If you're opening your backup files to verify that they work as the last thing you do before shutting down KeePass and removing the flash drive that the backup is on, then KeePass is likely getting confused about which file to open next time. However, the feature to "Remember and automatically open last used database on startup" can be turned off on the Advanced screen of Options for KeePass. With this off, KeePass won't make assumptions about which database to open or where it is, but you will have to click File | Open and select your file when starting KeePass, like most other programs.

• Paul

Paul - 2016-01-23

What do you do to "repair the database"?

cheers, Paul

• Tony

Tony - 2016-01-23

Hi Paul,

Repair database = Tools - repair database

• Paul

Paul - 2016-01-24

What error message did you get trying to open the database that made you recover it?
    Could you not use File > Open?

cheers, Paul

p.s. We have Backup instructions here.