Menu

Finding it difficult to tell the number 1 (one) and lower letter l. Can I change font?

Ant
2022-09-28
2022-10-26
  • Ant

Ant - 2022-09-28

When I need to read a password (edit entry) that has number 1 (one) and lower case l, I find it difficult with the default font to tell them apart.

Can I change the font so that 1 and lower case l look different than what they do now?

The default font shows them both as 1. There is a difference of coarse, but very subtle which I can't detect very easily.

Last edit: Ant 2022-09-28
  • Bruce

Bruce - 2022-09-28

Screen-Shot-1664379855.jpg

• Ant

Ant - 2022-09-28

There's so many to choose from!
    Does anyone know a good font that shows a noticeable difference between the number 1 and lower case l?

I've never had to think about fonts before.

• Bruce

Bruce - 2022-09-28

That password font list has sample text displayed for each available font.

• Dan

Dan - 2022-09-28

Lucida Console's a good one. The '1' has an underbar, and the lowercase L has none (just the top tick).

👍
    • Ant

Ant - 2022-09-28

Thanks Dan. That's what I wanted.

Last edit: Ant 2022-09-28
  • Paul

Paul - 2022-09-29

Why do you need to read the password?
    KeePass has plenty of ways to enter the password.

cheers, Paul

• Ant

Ant - 2022-09-29

When I phone some companies to speak to someone, for security they ask for certain characters from my password, for instance, the 1st, 5th and 8th character.

• Horst

Horst - 2022-10-26

Thats an uncommon way. Normaly they ask about some other information
      like an additional key or something else.
      Knowing 3 of your password characters makes it much esier to crack it.

• Paul

Paul - 2022-10-26

That's why you need more than 16 characters in your password - and KeePass to remember it for you. :)

cheers, Paul

• Paul

Paul - 2022-09-30

Try the ColoredPassword plug-in.
    https://keepass.info/plugins.html#coloredpw

cheers, Paul

• SteveShank

SteveShank - 2022-10-04

I second the colored password plugin. It is rarely needed, but sometimes you actually have to type a password. Today I bought a homeowners insurance policy and setup an account with the new company. Though paste was an option for the password, the confirm password field would not allow paste, requiring that I type the 32 character random password. Also, when setting up a new phone or tablet or when I setup my TV Set, it required me to type in a password.

As much as I respect people's suggestions for fonts, I've yet to find one that is perfect on everything.

• aozaozaoz

aozaozaoz - 2022-10-25

your issue (steve) is why i use ReadablePassphrase Generator, it creates nonsensical passwords composed of random words, interspersed wth characters. for EXACTLY your issue, i create passwords made of other words, because sometimes you actually have to type the password. I can type a password much easier when it is made of words, rather than random characters, and you just make them long to make them secure, and interspace some symbols between words . the BIGGER issue is why such sites do not allow pasting of passwords, it is absurd. that is forcing dumbing down of passwords. and thye think they are accomplishing something?

• Paul

Paul - 2022-10-26

the BIGGER issue is why such sites do not allow pasting of passwords

You can Auto-Type just the password for recalcitrant sites.
    I use the KeePassEnhancedEntryView plug-in, but you could make it available in KeePass (Tools > Options > Interface, Main Window, Show additional auto-type menu commands.

cheers, Paul

• aozaozaoz

aozaozaoz - 2022-10-26

paul, thanks !
    I turned it on, and i see that right clicking on the entry shows the different options. i currently use the auto-type button, but i see you can auto type the specific fields with the ADDITIONAL options turned on.
    thansk

Last edit: aozaozaoz 2022-10-26