Menu

Hiding passwords

2024-02-26
2024-05-21
  • Wolfgang Saul

Wolfgang Saul - 2024-02-26

Hallo,
    I was able to see the password column permanently before last program update. Now password has disappeared behind an asterisk when restarting. Is this possible?

• Kenneth Shaw

Kenneth Shaw - 2024-02-27

I am having the same issue. After setting the password to show (not hiding) and save, a restart will cause this setting to return to asterisks.

• Paul

Paul - 2024-02-27

Did you follow the settings in the post I linked?
    Is KeePass installed or portable?
    Pressing Ctrl H will display the passwords, if you must have them shown.

cheers, Paul

• Kenneth Shaw

Kenneth Shaw - 2024-02-27

rats, i didn't see the new setting to remember password hiding - this used to be selected by default and now it appears it has changed...

• Brandon Blackmoor

I had this same problem. It appears that the "don't show asterisks" setting is not saved between sessions, unless you also set a separate toggle to save settings between sessions.

I do not know why it was decided to have a setting not saved unless a second setting says to save the first setting. Why stop at two? Why not three? Or ten?

Setting <-- Save that setting <-- Save that setting <-- Save that setting <-- etc.

For myself, I preferred a single setting, which was simply saved. But I am grateful for Keepass, and grateful that it is possible to save settings. Thank you. :)

Last edit: Brandon Blackmoor 2024-03-12
  • T. Bug Reporter

T. Bug Reporter - 2024-03-13

I do not know why it was decided [...]

The best explanation for this (so far) is here, but let me give it a shot: Some users want to be able to unhide passwords occasionally, but also want to ensure that KeePass always (re)starts with them (re)hidden, regardless of how things were when they last shut down KeePass - in case they forget to (re)hide them. This dual setting set allows for that possibility.

• msg

msg - 2024-04-11

add a button to the main menu, quickly change the status of password display.
    [no save. temp change]

(default: get config dispaly status.)
    (close the from to restore display status [get config dispaly])

Last edit: msg 2024-04-11
  • Bill Baigent

Bill Baigent - 2024-05-21

I also am having trouble to permanently show passwords instead of asterisks. I cannot find "settings" within Keypass 2, the only Options I can find is under Tools but does not give the option
    " Remember Password hiding setting in the main window"
    can you please help?

• Bill Baigent

Bill Baigent - 2024-05-21

Sorry for the panic guys - I have now found the entry and have successfully achieved the required action !! Thanks for all the previous entries of assistance.