Menu

Require master password on KeePass restore from being minimized

2023-11-06
2023-11-16
  • Robert Hurd

Robert Hurd - 2023-11-06

This is a security suggestion. Would you please consider an option for requiring the input of the master password when restoring KeePass from being minimized? This would vastly increase the security of KeePass when it is minimized and the authorized user is away from their machine. I know we should not leave KeePass minimized when leaving it, but it happens often anyway.

Thank you.

• Bruce

Bruce - 2023-11-06

Perhaps an option or a few in Tools | Options | Security | General could be helpful.
    Screen-Shot-1699309648.jpg

• ReadyPlayerOne

ReadyPlayerOne - 2023-11-15

How about Windows "Locking" your computer first this would prevent someone from using your computer to access your data. This should be the first thing you do when away from the computer to stop prying eyes.

• Robert Hurd

Robert Hurd - 2023-11-16

I am speaking of a business environment where all the computers are essentially all the computers are the same. Our computers do automatically lock after 15 minutes of inactivity; the thought being that you are now away from your assigned computer. However, some companies' IT departments allow you some latitude with regard to logging into personal accounts along with your own private password. That's where this feature request of requiring your master password being require to "unminimize" KeePass comes from.

• caspadan

caspadan - 2023-11-16

Not the solution you want, more a suggestion, but if you are ok with plugins, then you may want to look at LockAssist. LockAssist has a "SoftLock" functionality which can be activated when KeePass is minimized.

SoftLock hides sensitive information while still allowing Auto-Type as well as other integration.
    You can configure SoftLock to kick in after a certain inactivity or when minimizing KeePass.

• wellread1

wellread1 - 2023-11-16

I know we should not leave KeePass minimized when leaving it, but it happens often anyway.

Actually it is OK to leave KeePass in any screen state (minimized or un-minimized). For security you should never leave the KeePass workspace unlocked when unattended. See the KeePass Security documentation. The options shown in the screen shot above allow you to lock the workspace after a set time and/or when minimizing the KeePass workspace.

Last edit: wellread1 2023-11-16
  • Robert Hurd

Robert Hurd - 2023-11-16

I have it working now with SoftLock. Great Plugin! Now if I leave the PC for 5 minutes I have to put my password in to see KeePass contents again. Thank you all but especially to caspadan!!!

bob