Menu

Is the expiration toggle propagated during sync?

J. B.
2021-06-21
2021-06-22
  • J. B.

J. B. - 2021-06-21

Over the weekend I was looking for an entry but couldn't find it. I finally realized that I had ticked off the "Expires" checkbox in the entry and excluded expired entries from view. I unchecked it, and all was well.

This morning, I synched my databases, but when I checked the last changed entries, the item I had unchecked the "Expires" switch wasn't there.

Finally I looked a little closer, and even after syncing several times, the "Expires" tickbox state did not sync. I manually turned it off, and it was fine.

Is it expected behavior that the tickbox state doesn't sync with everything else? Or, it occurs to me, does the "view" setting have any impact?

I also just noticed I'm using two versions of Keepass (on different machines): 2.43 and 2.46.

Jim

• wellread1

wellread1 - 2021-06-21

An entry's expiration status is synchronized with the database. I think you might be getting confused because you are changing too many settings at once (possibly in different database copies).

If the most recently changed version of an entry does not become the current entry after synchronization there is something wrong with your synchronization scheme. To test that synchronization is operating correctly add a dummy entry to one database and synchronize with the other databases. The dummy entry should appear in each database that is synchronized with a database copy that contains the dummy entry. Once you have demonstrated that synchronization is working, repeat the test by expiring the dummy entry and synchronizing each database.

Keep in mind each entry is synchronized as a whole. Changes made in the same entry in different databases are not merged. The most recently changed copy of the entry becomes the the current entry and the older version is relegated to the entry's history.

Last edit: wellread1 2021-06-21
  • J. B.

J. B. - 2021-06-22

Hmmm... that latter case might be the issue. I think I thought all elements were atomic, rather than on a per-entry level. G.T.K.

I did indeed confirm that once the expired flag was manually synched, the Find->Last Modified Entries... lists were identical.

However, I also checked the change history for the item that was being elusive, and the change histories appear identical (that is, there was no obvious entry for the expired setting that I coudl tell).

I think either something got lost (my fault) or perhaps the change date didn't get updated when changing just the expiration checkbox.

I think to be sure I'll set it to display (and search) expired entries.

Thanks!

Jim

PS I've been using KeePass for many, many years, and I don't recall if there is a logging capability.

Last edit: J. B. 2021-06-22
  • wellread1

wellread1 - 2021-06-22

However, I also checked the change history for the item that was being elusive, and the change histories appear identical (that is, there was no obvious entry for the expired setting that I coudl tell)

The entry history in a pair of synchronized databases is expected to be identical.

If an expired version of the entry is in its history, the 'expires' check box on the General tab of the history item will be checked, and the expiry date will be shown in the adjacent field. The history of an expired entry may not contain an expired history item because the entry may not have been edited since it was expired. Attached is a screenshot of a history item that is an expired version of an entry.

PS I've been using KeePass for many, many years, and I don't recall if there is a logging capability.

The entry history is the only log of changes made to an entry. By default, an entry's history is limited to the last 10 changes. This can be changed in the File>Database Settings...>Advanced(tab). If you change this setting you should verify that the setting is the same in all copies of your database.